X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NY/NJ Shopping Day and Pub Crawl

Weather permitting, how about a shopping trip to Piper's Cove in Kearny, NJ,on Saturday, Feb. 16th? Not only do they supply most of the pipbe bands in teh area and the bartendaers at St. Andrew's with their gear, but they have tons of Scottish stuff: jewelry, shirts, jerseys, caps, kitchen stuff, food..some of it's a little frightening, but Joan and John have an inexhaustible knowldedge of anything related to kilts! And, there's a small, very casual restaurant for lunch.

Then, when we're done, we descend on Scotland Yard in Hoboken to start a pub crawl.

And, this can all be done via the PATH train and a brief cab ride...

Anyone up for it?
    [COLOR="Blue"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]
    And this shall be for music, when no one else is near; The fine song for singing, the rare song to hear; That only I remember, that only you admire; Of the broad road that stretches and the roadside fire. (RL Stevenson)
    [/I][/FONT][/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *twists arm*
    Umm...yeah, ok. Sure, why not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always travel to Manhattan for business every June (for the entire month) and make a point to stop off at the St. Andrews Pub & Restaurant (on 44th between BW and 6th) for a scotch-tasting and a meal. Do you guys ever go? Give me a reason to pack a kilt this June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pack that kilt, Jack. St. Andrew's is our unofficial headquarters. We'll be sure to arrange something special for you during June!
    [COLOR="Blue"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]
    And this shall be for music, when no one else is near; The fine song for singing, the rare song to hear; That only I remember, that only you admire; Of the broad road that stretches and the roadside fire. (RL Stevenson)
    [/I][/FONT][/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes we go it seams we go there often.Well as often as we have been having kilt nights. If you look at the photos from the NYC Burns night it was there. Let us know when your coming in so we can get something together.

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was last in the St. Andrews Bar back in 2003, when on a kilted coast-to-coast tour of the USA and, in the six or seven days spent in NYC, I believe we called in there for liquid refreshment, probably six times. It was then, and probably still is, a really friendly and welcoming establishment where the staff were all kilted (apart from the lady Manager, whose name I forget, who wore trews!!).

No visit to NYC is complete wthout calling in at 120, W 44th Street - just around the corner from Times Square.

Take care,
    Ham.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a chance of snow? It seems that every time I go to that area in the winter, it snows, heavily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the winter? sure! but Jack is coming in June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I know the St. Andrews P&R quite well. Ever since it opened, I have visited every year as I have been coming to NYC regularly for 12 years. The bartenders wear the kilt and the waitresses are very pretty. The bartenders are very good about giving you a break on the price when you try enough of the single-malts. The food is excellent, too. The trout is really good.

Hamish is right. The bar is very friendly. The Scots (i.e., those visiting from the Auld Countrie) seem to know to show up all the time. I learned how the Glaswegians do. They deride you all evening with cutting, comic insults, then they say goodnight like you're their brother and will never see you again.

I'll let you guys know when I will be there.
    Last edited by Jack Daw; 27th January 08 at 08:49 AM.

Kevincdownsphoto
    Is there a Kilt night in NYC? Brian Wilton and I have designed a new tartan for the Family name Downs. I had my Kilt made by one of the greatest Kilt makers I know, Matthew Newsome.
    He is a true artist.
    I am trying to get the word out to other people with the last name Downs.
    Last edited by Kevincdownsphoto; 27th January 08 at 04:15 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast