X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Semi Formal Argyle

I'm attending a matinee opera in LA on Wednesday, and I'm thinking of going semi formal (argyle jacket, white shirt, tie, MacQueen tank), and I'm considering not wearing a waistcoat since it'll be warm that day. I'm guessing that it will be proper to wear the jacket without the waistcoat as long as I wear a dress belt with silver buckle. Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    RB

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that would be appropritate attire, the only time I may go dressier than that would be an evening performance or an opening night, have a wonderful time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like the best way to go. Have a great time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that would be fine. I own an argyle jacket and wear it without a waistcoat all the time. In fact, I don't even own a waist coat. If you think about it, most men don't wear a vest with a suit anymore.
    [B][U]Jay[/U][/B]
    [B]Clan Rose[/B]-[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Constant and True[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][I]"I cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblins; In a brand new pair of brogues to ramble o'er the bogs and frighten all the dogs " - D. K. Gavan[/I][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've worn my argyll with and without the waistcoat. You're right about the belt, definitely wear that if you're going sans waistcoat. Have a good time!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to sound rather pedantic,but it may help you decide what to wear.First of all there are three basic types of Argyll/Braemar/Crail(count these as the same) jacket.The tweed, the black barathea with black buttons and the black barathea with silver buttons.Ok, with all these jackets there are different colours to be had,but lets stick to the basics.

I think that we can discount the silver buttoned barathea as too formal for a matinee,it is after all the most formal of daywear jackets, although, I grant you that it is becoming a modern trend to see them worn as formal evening attire these days.

So that leaves the tweed or black barathea with black buttons, personally I would wear the tweed.Oh, either of these two are fine without a waist coat. Plus a belt, but not a dress belt, as it is day wear.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th May 08 at 02:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opera Outfit

Thanks for the feedback! I attended the matinee opera in my black Argyle jacket, yellow crew neck shirt, MacQueen tank, belt, black hose, and ghillies. The yellow shirt picked up the yellow stripe in the kilt, which is pleated to stripe and it looked fantastic. I had more compliments that day than ever before at the opera. A woman dressed in a cowgirl outfit came up to me and said, "I'm the other one dressed differently....and I just had to meet the man in the kilt!". BTW, the LA Opera has never disappointed me..........and Tosca was incredible.
    Cheers!
    RB

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhat late, I'm afraid, but I would agree with Jock Scot 100%.

Jock, we have to remember that styles, and particularly standards, of what may be considered formal, semi-formal and smart-casual are often quite different in the USA and the United Kingdom, and offering advice to our brethren over there does not always appear to be the best advice - although we are talking about traditional wear!

About a year ago I ceased jumping in to offer my thoughts and opinions in this connection because of those differences in our cultures.

Rollerboy, I am very pleased that you enjoyed 'Tosca', which is a fabulous work, and that you dressed up to such good effect.

Take care,
    Ham.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ham
    as a North American I have to say that I also agree completely with Jock's assessment of the outfit. I would have dressed exactly as Jock suggested. I for one look forward to the opinions of those members from the UK as I respect the views that many of our UK members, yourself and Jock included.

To my view you can not go wrong with Traditional Highland attire when talking about an outfit for an outing such as this one. I always look forward to your thoughts and comments on those outfits, and you've both been an invariable help to this fledgling kilt wearer, your thoughts and encouragement has helped me to gain the confidence and eye for style needed for successful kilt wearing.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Hamish,

I am at one with you in agreeing that out friends in North America,other places in the world too,have a different view on dress codes and definitions of casual,formal etc., and that is their absolute right to hold those views.

Now, I am not in any way holding myself up as the oracle on matters of worldwide highland attire, I do think, however, a traditional view does put in a baseline for others to adapt as they see fit. Particularly as they are the ones asking the questions. I also sense a wish of some to follow the traditional line as best they can. Our friend McMurdo for one.

I quite accept that the weather conditions in the USA,for example,are quite different from here in Scotland and therefore realise full well that 24oz tweed jackets,waistcoat,heavy wool socks etc. are not going to be worn in their summer. Nevertheless as Scotland is the home of the kilt I cannot help but raise an eyebrow at some of the kilt attire that is worn abroad. From the pictures that I see on this website there are some who manage valiantly to follow the traditional line by adapting their clothing and not succoming to heatstroke!I take my bonnet off to them.

See you soon,
    Jock.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th May 08 at 08:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast