X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Gauranga, and good luck with your trip to Rocky's.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauranga View Post
    First, let me say that Rocky's kilts are THE BEST you'll find anywhere. I recently bought a casual kilt in Cameron and it is amazing. However, If I had to do over, I would have bought the semi-traditional kilt. Not that there is anything wrong with the casual, like I said, it is an amazing product, at the time it was all I could afford. I think what I'm looking for now is a kilt that can fill the gap of a "kilt for all occasions". I don't feel that casuals are all that appropriate for formal events. They kick butt at the highland games though! One day I'll buy a 5 yard or a premier. I'll have all my bases covered then.

Hey Rocky, Tomorrow I'm taking my brother to your shop to get measured for his first kilt (hopefully). He's planning on buying a casual in Cameron. We'll see you then!
    We're open for "abridged hours" tomorrow b/c we have to pack up the shop for the Mid Winter fest this weekend. We'll be here from 11 AM to 3 PM at which time we're closing to pack up the shop. Drop me a line at the shop and we'll work something out... 610.935.3444

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonesing for USAK Semi-trad

Hello and a warm from Boston, Massachusetts.
    Go for the semi trad., it is a great looking kilt. Rocky has made some great kilts that have been displayed on this forum. Although, I do have to warn you, there is a que for his kilts, and I and many other X-Markers are already in it. There are many activities to be accomplished while in jones mode. I have very highly polished two sets of shoes, two belts, keepers, and day sporran. They will get even more polish before the kilt arrives, as I would rather wait for it to be done in good time, than rush the maker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! I'll be calling Rocky today (since he's gotta pack up for an event and I want to get my order in before that!)

I've measured a few times, and it's always the same, so I'm confident that it'll be okay. I decided to measure across the widest part even while I was sitting down (across my butt and right over my hip joint), to make sure it wouldn't be too tight while sitting down. Everything came out the same, so I should be good. Besides, with the buckles, I should be able to adjust it a little bit without it bunching up or looking weird (all of my measurements have been within 1/2 an inch of each other.)

Northernsky: funny you should mention the "noassatall syndrome"...the family on my father's side came through Canada before finally immigrating to the US! I've got at least two generations of Scot-Canadian and a few generations of French-Canadian in my ancestry (there's even someone in my family tree with the name "Francoise McKinnon"! I still find it completely hilarious that someone was so completely half French and half Scot, with the name to prove it! Somehow the Scottish name got Anglicised to "Mc" instead of "Mac", but I've discovered that that was fairly common at the time. Ah well, no big deal. But I do have an ancestor with the surname of "Bidet", so I'm just glad I didn't end up with that as a last name!) There's sort of a running joke on my father's side of the family that goes something like "Eh! We're totally American, eh!" We joke about our Candian heritage, but we're still proud of it (and I love "The Red Green Show" and Rush!) BTW (and this is meant as a compliment), you look just like Steve Martin in your avatar! I'm picking out a thermos for you...!

Canawler: Those pictures are exactly what I was looking for! I do recognise you from the USAK website, but the first two pics in your post were pretty much exactly what I wanted to see! That's what I love about that pattern...neutral enough to go with pretty much anything (and I wear a lot of black), but still obviously tartan.

Ted_Crocker: As soon as I get mine, I'll post pictures so you can see what a Grey Granite Semi-Trad looks like!

Riverkilt: I was able to have my friend measure me today and the numbers were the same that I got, so it should turn out fine (I wanted to be extra-sure before I spent money on the most expensive piece of clothing I've ever bought...but it'll probably be the most-worn!...And yes, I'm already plotting for my tank for next winter!) As for the jonesing, I just got my "Big Country:The Final Fling" DVD in the mail today (all the band members of Big Country were wearing kilts at their last concert! RIP Stuart Adamson), so I've got something to watch while I wait for my kilt, even though watching them makes me want my kilt even more! Ah, I'll just keep myself busy by working on a sporran or kilt belt in the meantime.

Thanks to everyone for all your input, I really appreciate it! I should probably go to bed now so that I can wake up at a reasonable hour and call in my order to Rocky (who, BTW, has been so completely awesome in answering my emails, working with me on payment and answering all of my random questions!) You guys have been just great! (5:30am...sweet FA, I need to go to bed!)

Slainte!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Cat, Welcome to the X!
    I've been looking at the USA semi-trads for a while but haven't ordered one yet. My next kilt will probably be from Rocky. I'm just trying to lose a little belly first, and decide which tartan I want.

Be sure to post pics when you get your new one!
    Sapienter si sincereClan Davidson (USA)
    Bydand Do well and let them say...GORDON!My Blog
    "I'll have a scotch on the rocks. Any scotch will do as long as it's not a blend of course. Single malt Glenlivet, Glenfiddich perhaps maybe a Glen... any Glen." -Swingers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Cat! You'll be glad you went with the semi-trad. I love mine, and my wife says it's my best-fitting kilt....
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by northernsky View Post
    >>Do smaller guys tend to be flatter in the "buttockal area"<<

Reminds me of a story my Dad liked to tell. He lived in Texas for quite a few years and when he went to get a pair of pants (trousers) made the tailor asked him if was Canadian. My dad was surprised and said "yes, how do you know?" The tailor replied that he suffered from that Canadian disease 'noassatall'.
    That's funny, my family uses the same phrase except we replace our last name with Canadian, cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't get a chance to call Rocky yet, but that's alright...they're away for the weekend at a Celtic music festival, so it wouldn't really matter either way. Ah well, I've finally got all my measurements squared away, money at the ready and just one quick call (hopefully Monday!)

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the Rabble!

from Sunny Southern California

I'd go with the semi-traditional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James: I've decided to go with the semi-trad, since I think it just looks a little better. And, I just found out today that it uses much more material, closer to 8 yards rather than the four or five yards in the casual. I wasn't aware of this, but it's definitely a bonus! I am going to pay the extra for the rush order, cos I'm a really impatient person! Besides, I don't plan on wearing flash or hose in the near future, so I can put off buying those for now.

Tomorrow the order is placed (for real this time...no really, I mean it!)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast