X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obsidian sgain dubh

I'm an archaeology major. Basically, I sit in a lab all day analyzing pieces of pottery, stone, and whatever else comes through. Today I got a box of obsidian knives, projectile points, and other tools. They were so beautiful that I have decided to make an obsidian sgian dubh.

I'm pretty good at flintknapping and I think I could make a pretty decent blade, but I need help on the handle and sheath. Any takers? I can't pay you much, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In trade for an Obsidian blade I'd almost be tempted to take on this job.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beloitpiper View Post
    I'm an archaeology major. Basically, I sit in a lab all day analyzing pieces of pottery, stone, and whatever else comes through. Today I got a box of obsidian knives, projectile points, and other tools. They were so beautiful that I have decided to make an obsidian sgian dubh.
    I miss doing that.. Archaeology U of Ottawa '99 (Go Gee Gee's!!)

Wish I could help. I have just made three Sgain Dubhs, the handles are tricky but much like anything else DIY, it takes practice. Try making them, they are fun to do. I just used a Dremel tool and some sand paper. Just be careful sanding different woods, some can be toxic. There are a couple of great threads on here about how toxic materials can be.
    Have fun!
    Sara
    "There is one success- to be able to spend your life your own way."
    ~Christopher Morley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a wonderful idea. I would tightly wrap the handle with thin, wide leather cord of some sort, if I were making something like that. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the project though. Good luck, and hope it turns out well.

* Ya, I'm not thinking of the same construction as you guys, so nevermind, but good luck still.
    Last edited by Bugbear; 14th February 08 at 07:52 PM.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

TheSp8 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of handle you wanting? Bone or antler I think would be best with obsidian but I have seen wood used. I agree with the above, a trade of a blade for hafting another would be a pretty good deal.

YMOS,
    Tony
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Teddy Roosevelt

If you are fearful, never learn any art of fighting" Master Liechtenauer, c.1389

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, could you do an antler handle? Wood would (haha) be great too.

JS Sanders is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always wanted to create a polished bronze bladed sgian.... never have considered a blade of obsidian.

Newly flaked obsidian blades are extraordinarily sharp. I can imagine some numpty that's looking at it running his finger along the blade to determine how sharp it is.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheep In Wolf's Clothing View Post
    Just be careful sanding different woods, some can be toxic. There are a couple of great threads on here about how toxic materials can be.
    I would echo that regarding red sumac. As I mentioned on another thread (regarding pipes) I had a "peace pipe" with the stem made of red sumac. As soon as sucked thru it I had a nasty reaction.
    If that was sucking thru it, I couldn't imagine inhaling it's dust particles!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real pine pitch resin, rawhide sinew and antler would be my vote. Let us know when you discover a source of fire. Raw mastodon is so chewy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rab Gordon also sells the parts to make your own sgian dugh. Check out his site if you decide to go that route.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast