X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Hands Aff Oor Kilts!

Hands off our kilts: Scots bid to copyright their national dress

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...ss-789340.html

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not before time!It is a shame that the situation has arrived at this point,but there we go.What does this mean,if this succeeds,for the fine(as opposed to the rubbish) kilt makers in the rest of the world,I wonder?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th February 08 at 04:45 AM.

Phil is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Not before time!It is a shame that the situation has arrived at this point,but there we go.What does this mean,if this succeeds,for the fine(as opposed to the rubbish) kilt makers in the rest of the world,I wonder?
    I read it that only kilts made in Scotland can be called Scottish but can't see anything to stop anyone elsewhere calling what they make a kilt, just not pass it off as Scottish. What is wrong with following the Welsh way of calling their garments Cilts to show the distinction?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    What is wrong with following the Welsh way of calling their garments Cilts to show the distinction?
    I see a potential problem there, but I can't explain on a family friendly forum. And besides, if I read correctly, it would still allow calling them kilts, just not "scottish kilts"

This is a bad idea, and I doubt it would help anyway. People buy cheap kilts because they don't want to spend a fortune on a handmade wool kilt, when they just want something to wear in a bar or at a game. Controlling the label will not make people more accepting of the high price of the traditional kilt.

If it weren't for the cheap kilts these people seem to despise, I and many others wouldn't be kilted at all. I'd rather see cheap kilts for the masses than expensive luxury items most people can't reasonably afford.

And besides, is a kilt less of a kilt if it was sewn by someone in America or canada, or anywhere else in the world?

I say let the people choose for themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't copyright an article of clothing. Can you? That's like copyrighting a t-shirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what I think about this. On the one hand, there is a certain amount of truth in advertising being pushed, which really is a good thing. But on the other hand, can you really look at some of the top end kiltmakers in America and say that they're inferior just because they weren't made in Scotland? It's a bit of a dilemma. But, a kilt would still be a kilt according to the article. It really sounds like this is more backlash to the Gold brothers.
    An uair a théid an gobhainn air bhathal 'se is feàrr a bhi réidh ris.
    (When the smith gets wildly excited, 'tis best to agree with him.)

Kiltio Ergo Sum.
    I Kilt, therefore I am. -McClef

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real concern seems to be that they are afraid those who are uneducated will make a decision like "Why should I spend hundreds of dollars or pounds on one when I can get something just as good for so much less."

We here on this forum know about the different qualities of kilts, but your average tourist does not. Sure, if they saw them side by side, they could probably tell the difference, but they are probably not going to see them that way.

The best way would be to regulate against misleading labels like "Designed in Scotland" or "Authentic Woven Tartan" and other meaningless labels.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ridiculous. It is a sign of the times. Everyone wants to be protected from everything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have reservations about this idea. I can see where they are coming from in wishing to safeguard the traditional Scottish kilt making industry but:-
    1. Cheap foreign kilts worn by those who cannot yet afford a traditional 8-yard wool kilt help to popularise the kilt as a garment and can help grow the traditional kilt business in the longer term.
    2. Are the splendid hand made kilts I have imported from USA Kilts and Freedom Kilts somehow thought to be inferior because they were made in USA and Canada? I do not think that can be the intention - even the salesman in Houston Kiltmakers was favourably impressed when I went into their shop in Paisley wearing a Freedom Kilt.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
    You can't copyright an article of clothing. Can you? That's like copyrighting a t-shirt.
    I think it's more in the name than the actual garment itself. They don't want so called "shoddy pieces of garbage" labeled as "Scottish."

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast