X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question To kilt or not to kilt: A St. Paddy's Day conundrum

Okay, so St. Patrick's Day is the national holiday of Ireland and kilts are the Scottish national dress.

This begs the question: Do I wear my kilt on St. Patrick's day? Will people think I am an idiot?

When I wouldn't answer a group of twenty-somethings "question", one of the guys yelled "He's no real Irishman!". I thought, "What an idiot." So, by wearing the kilt on an IRISH holiday, am I only adding to the prevailing ignorance surrounding the kilt, and thus furthering my own hypocrisy?

I would truly like to know your thoughts on this. I know there are modern Irish tartans, but I think that is an inadequate answer. Why do pipe and drum bands in the United States march and play (whilst kilted) in St. Patrick's Day parades?

Fire away, boys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have definitely seen folks dressed in the Irish National on St. Patrick's Day, at the Mass. There was even a piper dressed in the Irish National at the Mass. Everyone liked it. I say, "Go for it!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I wear my kilt about 3-4 times a week. For me St. Patrick's day is just another day to wear it. BUT we do get a large group of us together in kilts and go pub crawling on that day, it's fun. I look forward to it each year. It's a time to spend with my brothers and sisters and have a great time.

I think part of wearing a kilt is NOT caring what other people think. I think if you want to wear you kilt on St. patrick's day then you should. If you don't want to then don't. If someone tries to give you grief, just shrug it off, because you know that you are the more educated individual, and could really debate the symantics of it if you wanted to.

I've worn my Kilt on Cinco de Mayo as well, just because. ( I learned later that it's not a good idea to wear your kilt on Cinco de Mayo, due to a bunch of Irish American's that commited treason against the USA during the war.)

highlander_Daz is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your wore it EVERY day no one would think twice about asking !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander_Daz View Post
    If your wore it EVERY day no one would think twice about asking !
    Easy for you to say! You're a Scot. I'm just a poor American mutt of mixed British-Irish descent trying to find his way in life.

Last edited by DireStraitsFan; 29th February 08 at 02:59 PM. Reason: sp.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayin McFye View Post
    I've worn my Kilt on Cinco de Mayo as well, just because. ( I learned later that it's not a good idea to wear your kilt on Cinco de Mayo, due to a bunch of Irish American's that commited treason against the USA during the war.)
    Cinco de Mayo, the 5th of May, refers to a battle fought at the city of Puebla in 1862, during the occupation of Mexico by Napoleon III. It has nothing to do with the Mexican War of 1846-48, in which the Battalion de San Patricio, made up of some Irish deserters from the US Army -- and there are a good number of myths associated with this unit, mostly that it was "all Irish", which isn't the case. Robert R. Miller's Shamrock & Sword debunks a number of these myths from both sides of the border.

Quote Originally Posted by DireStraitsFan View Post
    Why do pipe and drum bands in the United States march and play (whilst kilted) in St. Patrick's Day parades?
    Because the pipes are also associated with the Irish, and many police and fire departments, the traditional occupation of many Irish immigrants, have pipe bands.

Regards,

Todd

highlander_Daz is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

The kilt is for eveyone , not just Scots my poor American mutt of mixed British-Irish descended friend.
    but if you dont want the swooning women and free pints of ale wear your kecks !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post

Because the pipes are also associated with the Irish, and many police and fire departments, the traditional occupation of many Irish immigrants, have pipe bands.

Regards,

Todd
    Todd-

You bring up another excellent question that I have always wondered at. Police and fire departments are traditional occupations for Irish immigrants. That's why I've always wondered how scottish pipes and drums bands (dressed in highland regalia) became associated (iconic even) of police, fire, and military funerals and other events. Clearly those departments have strong associations with Irish immigrants, so why the Scottish identity? Were those early Irish firemen and policemen of mixed Scots-Irish descent?

This is why I grew up thinking that kilts were Irish.

Chef is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't wear a kilt on St. Paddy's day. I see no point in spending all day telling people I'm Scottish not Irish. Just not worth the trouble.

I also don't go out on St. Paddy's day. I'll pass on pubs jammed with amateurs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just can't seem to express what I'm trying to say, so I'm taking what I wrote out. I'm sorry.
    Last edited by Bugbear; 29th February 08 at 05:16 PM.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast