X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY cabers

I wanted a new caber for our competition this October and felled another red maple (this is not sounding very enviro friendly, is it?) back in March. The section we removed form the woods was about 24 feet long and was a 'bear' to lift. Two of my sons helped me haul it out. What I was looking for was a final length between 15 and 16 ft.
    About two weeks ago I stripped the bark off and have the throwing end rounded and sanded; the finished product is 15 ft 9 in and weighs 81 pounds. This will be a reasonable step up from our 12 ft caber from last year's novice competition.
    I could't resist and began training with the new caber over the last two weekends. Haven't flipped it yet but it's just a matter of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15'9" and 81 lbs sounds like a perfect B caber.

Where do you live?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Land of the "B" caber

Many moons ago we lived in Baltimore City and while there bought a 1.4a lot in Harford County, the next county east of Baltimore County in Maryland. There is the State park across the road and my English neighbors next door; he's threatened to build Hadrian's wall down the property line. All in jest though, since they did come to our inaugural Highland competition last year and I'm sure he has fun watching me practice in the kilt. I practice caber, stone put, sheaf toss, hammer throw, weight for height and stone for height, which uses a 42 lb stone, tossed from a standing position over a bar. We're holding the event again this year. Our piper will return to play for us again during the competition. This year we are adding a house concert after the day's athletic events. If you live anywhere near us please consider entering the men's competition. You can get all the details at the website http://www.highlandersgames.com/default.aspx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilted_MJM View Post
    I wanted a new caber for our competition this October and felled another red maple (this is not sounding very enviro friendly, is it?) back in March. The section we removed form the woods was about 24 feet long and was a 'bear' to lift. Two of my sons helped me haul it out. What I was looking for was a final length between 15 and 16 ft.
    About two weeks ago I stripped the bark off and have the throwing end rounded and sanded; the finished product is 15 ft 9 in and weighs 81 pounds. This will be a reasonable step up from our 12 ft caber from last year's novice competition.
    I could't resist and began training with the new caber over the last two weekends. Haven't flipped it yet but it's just a matter of time.
    that's just about exactly what my caber is going to be....a great size for intermediate and Masters classes.

I have to make the little end on mine a bit smaller, I'm afraid, so I gotta break out the surform plane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see lots of people talking about their cabers, and as Arizona Scot and I are on the lookout for one, I'd love to see the pictures of everyone else's cabers. I just found out yesterday that one of the bartenders where my second home is located has parents that own a lumber yard/mill. I'm going to drop by there here soon and see what kind of hookups i can get.

Az Scot and I have been practicing for a few weeks now and I still want to try and practice and turn a caber if possible. The next highland games that I'll be able to make probably won't be until November or February but there's a chance that we are going to have enough Sonoran Scotsmen get interested in this. We had 4 members show up this last monday, and that number may double by next week. So if any of you are planning on being at the next Phoenix Highland games in February, you might run into a bunch of us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my caber. It was my first competition turn, and I liked it so much I bought it. Roughly 15' and 75 lbs.

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic!!!!!!!!

- - -

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123