X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although my preference tends to be for the sett I recognise quality pleating to the stripe when I see it and Barb has it down to a "T"
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McClef View Post
    Although my preference tends to be for the sett I recognise quality pleating to the stripe when I see it and Barb has it down to a "T"
    Trefor
    Most of my kilts are pleated to the sett, however as this tartan is for the Royal Naval Association it was my thought, and Barb agreed, that it should be done to the stripe to give it a more military feel.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb T. View Post
    Matt does this for box pleated kilts, and it makes a lot of sense for certain tartans for that kind of kilt.

I've seen trad knife-pleated kilts kilts on occasion that are pleated to alternate stripes, but it's my impression that it's not considered "proper" for a knife-pleated kilt. If someone knows differently, I'd be happy to be educated!
    Barb, I don't know if this is what you mean, but the Royal Scots and The Canadian Scottish Regiment wear their Hunting Stewart pleated to alternate red and yellow stripes.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barb, Thanks again for sharing your vast kilt making expertise with us.
    Mark Keeney

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tutorial for those of us who are newer in the kilt world. The pictures along with your post really helped to illustrate what you were explaining. I really got a lot of good information from your book before I purchased my first kilt, so much so that my daughter used your book as a reference for a presentation to her speach class about kilts.

Hopefully I can get my name on your waiting list for a new tank one of these days and be able to enjoy first hand what so many on this site already have. Keep up the good work, and keep the "lessons" coming our way please.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Savona, Italy between Genoa and the French border.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot stop looking a this kilt! Really wonderful: a fine tartan ,a great work and pleated to the stripe it is really beautiful!
    and thanks to Barb for the explications!

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb T. View Post
    Matt does this for box pleated kilts, and it makes a lot of sense for certain tartans for that kind of kilt.

I've seen trad knife-pleated kilts kilts on occasion that are pleated to alternate stripes, but it's my impression that it's not considered "proper" for a knife-pleated kilt. If someone knows differently, I'd be happy to be educated!
    Whether or not a kilt can be successfully pleated to alternate stripes (whether it's a four yard box pleated kilt, or an eight yard knife pleated kilt), will depend upon the sett size.

When you pleat to alternate stripes, you are effectively treating the sett as if it were either a) half the actual sett size, which works well when dealing with exceptionally large tartans, or b) one and a half the actual sett size, which works well when dealing with tartans with a small repeat.

The Hunting Stewart tartan, which has a relatively large repeat, is customarily pleated to alternate stripes (yellow and red) when pleated to the stripe. As far as civilian tartans go, I've seen full eight yard kilts pleated to alternate stripes once or twice. It's certainly not common, but it can be done, so long as the size of the tartan allows for it.

M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow what a lovely kilt. I love kilts pleated to the stripe, most of the kilts I own (or make) are pleated this way. Thank you Barb for the wonderful tutorial!!
    Sara
    "There is one success- to be able to spend your life your own way."
    ~Christopher Morley

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    The Hunting Stewart tartan, which has a relatively large repeat, is customarily pleated to alternate stripes (yellow and red) when pleated to the stripe. As far as civilian tartans go, I've seen full eight yard kilts pleated to alternate stripes once or twice. It's certainly not common, but it can be done, so long as the size of the tartan allows for it.

M
    Thanks, Matt! I'm glad to know this. You are THE BEST!
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    snip...
    The Hunting Stewart tartan, which has a relatively large repeat, is customarily pleated to alternate stripes (yellow and red) when pleated to the stripe....
    I think we'd call that the ketchup (or catsup) and mustard stripes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast