X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice needed

Hey there, folks! I need some advice. Here's what's going on in my life:

As the Arizona folk on the board know, I'm officiating a wedding in Phoenix in two weeks. I don't have a PC, and renting one is really out of the question given the fact that I'm driving from Denver to AZ, the trip is going to be almost a week long, and all kinds of other issues, the main one being that I can't seem to justify renting a jacket when I can just buy one. Obviously at this point, I also don't have the time (or spare cash!) buy a PC. I saw it recomended in another thread that an Eaton jacket is a good alternative. So here's what I can't decide on:

I like these two

I can't decide which one I would rather get, but I'm leaning more towards the tuxedo styled one. Opinions? Criticisms? Am I barking up the wrong tree? I should point out here that I have all the formal acoutrements with the exception of the jacket, including an Argyle waistcoat.

Thanks all! And be gentle...
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First one over the second.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nighthawk, clear this up. You had said in earlier threads that you wouldn't be kilted for the wedding. It sounds like you will be now. So this will be for the wedding right?
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have questions, we have answers! Whether they're the right ones or not, who knows.

In this case, though, I don't know that I can be terribly helpful. I don't like either one. To me, they'd make you look like a waiter in a kilt.

Do you take a standard size (unlike me, who needs giant size?). I would suggest spending the money on an argyle jacket. If time is an issue, why not just have it shipped to your hotel or wherever you'll be staying? I'm sure you can make some arrangement for them to hold if for you. Absent that, call the local post office at your destination (or along the way) and ask if they accept packages "general delivery" (some post office in the area should). They will hold the package for up to 30 days until you pick it up.

Hope this is helpful, even if its not exactly what you're looking for.
    "To the make of a piper go seven years of his own learning, and seven generations before. At the end of his seven years one born to it will stand at the start of knowledge, and leaning a fond ear to the drone he may have parley with old folks of old affairs." - Neil Munro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: General delivery - Here's the link explaining it. http://www.usps.com/receive/choicesf...therplaces.htm

Sorry for the double barreled post.
    "To the make of a piper go seven years of his own learning, and seven generations before. At the end of his seven years one born to it will stand at the start of knowledge, and leaning a fond ear to the drone he may have parley with old folks of old affairs." - Neil Munro

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyLawyer View Post
    You have questions, we have answers! Whether they're the right ones or not, who knows.

In this case, though, I don't know that I can be terribly helpful. I don't like either one. To me, they'd make you look like a waiter in a kilt.

Do you take a standard size (unlike me, who needs giant size?). I would suggest spending the money on an argyle jacket. If time is an issue, why not just have it shipped to your hotel or wherever you'll be staying? I'm sure you can make some arrangement for them to hold if for you. Absent that, call the local post office at your destination (or along the way) and ask if they accept packages "general delivery" (some post office in the area should). They will hold the package for up to 30 days until you pick it up.

Hope this is helpful, even if its not exactly what you're looking for.
    First, to Ted- The lady discovered that Hay is a Scottish name, so they changed what they wanted to do for the wedding. It will be a Scottish one (luckily for me.)

Second, Jersey- I don't think I'm giant- rather large... but not a giant size. Big enough that my clothes cost extra. My jacket size is 52. So not gigantic, but not standard, either. And wih something as expensive as this, I tend to be little leary of general dilivery.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, Rev. I have to post this quote to get the link to work, but this thread was very useful, and I think you will find it useful too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post
    If, like some, you are on a tight budget then your best investment is a black Argyll jacket and two black waistcoats-- one 3 button (like those worn with a PC) and the other a standard six button affair.

Six-button waistcoat + Argyll, & four-in-hand tie = day wear/dressy evening wear = suit and tie.
    Three-button waistcoat + Argyll & bow tie = formal evening wear = tuxedo.

So there you have it, the basic formula for being well-dressed on a budget:

[1(Argyll Jacket) + 2(waistcoats)] - (white socks) = 1 Well Dressed Gentleman.
    Sorry, I had to use that as a wormhole to the thread to get the link which is:
    "A trans-Atlantic thing?"
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/t....html?p=498999
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first one is definitely better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you need to go with the posted piccies and are around a 50 to 54 the first would look better in terms of the stature of being the officiant. The second one looks kind of "dressed down". The only people that can usually pull of the lower pic are the very lean type. ( I used to be one )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you got this off this site (same pictures)

http://www.uniformalwearhouse.com/ap...ojackets4.html

Go with the ONE button style - not three (model is female but have your size in male)

Change out the buttons for pewter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast