X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://216.92.79.148/greatkilt/breacan04.htm
    A standing method of pleating and wearing the great kilt. What I have found is that u need to have a smooth loose "belt" which eliminates the wide belts with large buckles we all use.
    A length of cord tied about yr waist would do well. Pleat the kilt and hang it over yr shoulder, pull the aprons around and tie a rope or climbing sling about you at your hips or higher. Arrange the pleats and the aprons and THEN put on yr belt, removing the rope/ sling thereafter. It took me 10 minutes to do so by the clock. There are fewer and less precise pleats (8-10).
    Last edited by WClarkB; 26th December 08 at 09:04 PM. Reason: in complete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always pleat mine on the ground or floor....my great kilts for reenacting (F and I, Jacobite) are about 55 inches by 5 to 5.5 yards. I've also pleated in a British wedge tent when it's pouring rain outside, so it can be done in a very small space. I have a friend who has done the standing method. Basically, he gathers it all together at one end, trying to fold in pleats, throws it over his left shoulder and belts it. Then pulls aprons around to front and arranges pleats in back. It's messy but works. We're of the mind in 18th century Highland military units that most lads slept in their kilts most of the time so they rarely had to repleat, just adjust in the morning when rolling out of the straw. And, they were more concerned with utilitarian aspect of kilt, not so much perfect pleats. We use feilabegs for our Rev. War (42nd) impression and also hand pleat them, they being about 30 inches wide by 4.5 yards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hand pleat and strap on while on the king-size bed. It's easier.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted this method of donning the Belted Plaid the other day but thought I would do so again.

I saw a guy do this along with the following explanation.

The Belted Plaid was a general purpose garment. It served primarily as an outer cloak or coat. The fabric was very thick and heavy. Sort of like an army blanket. In fact the Gaelic word Plaide means blanket.
    Your primary clothing garment was a long tunic of course, home spun fabric. The Plaid was simply an overcloak to keep you warm.

It also served as your sleeping blanket, game carrying bag, and storage pouch.

Putting your cloak on needed to be done quickly, efficiently and practically.
    No one would care if your pleats were straight or if it was perfectly pleated each time. You weren't trying to impress anyone you were trying to keep warm.

The size of your Plaide would be sufficient to wrap up in for sleeping. Probably 4-5 feet wide and 6,8,10 feet long.

When you get up in the morning stand up and shake out your blanket. Then grab it by one long side and drape it over your shoulders sort of like a shawl.
    If it is a cold day let the bottom of the blanket fall down around your ankles to keep you warm. If its a hot day hike it up to mid thigh.
    Then wrap one side across your front followed by the other. Sort of like putting on your bathrobe.
    Then pick up your belt and cinch it around your waist to hold everything in place.
    All the extra fabric around your shoulders can then be arranged according to the temperature of the day or your level of physical activity.

That's it. It takes about a minute to put on. Who cares what it looks like as long as it does what you want it to.

It seems we forget that the belted plaid was in use long before the Modern Kilt. The people who wore it had never seen a Kilt. And probably would have laughed at it if they did see one.
    We who do know what a Kilt is, seem to want to reverse engineer the belted plaid into some version of our own Kilt. We think about perfect pleats and perfect cloth, and looking just so.
    The belted plaid cannot be looked at through the eyes of someone who is looking for a different Kilt.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve Ashton (Wizard): Having belted plaides for 15 years (on the floor, on the ground, in the snow, inside a tiny tent, and standing up), I agree with everything you wrote.....couldn't have said it better myself. But, I do enjoy the modern kilt look which I've learned so much about since I've been on Xmarks. Celebrating the Scottish culture is what it's all about.

Malcolm MacWm.
    ASM, British Brigade

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123