X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I live in two worlds: the world where I am a student and must function among everyday people without too many odd looks. There I look much like any other college student. If you don't notice the year round knit hats, rubber boots most days, or other odd details. I don't own anything tartan or dress up nicely in any way. not when I can help it. On the other hand, Yeti likes dressing nice.

The other world is 18th century reenacting. I tend to go the whole nine yards and try and be as much of a perfectionist as I can be, i'm not totally there yet but I am honestly more comfortable and at home in these clothes than I am any other time.

That's me in the purple. If I don't look totally comfy that's because I'm standing in 90F sunshine in a fashion show and I've been forced to not only wear my poor woman leather stays, but my wool jacket over them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    OK, this next picture is kind of silly, but the point is that boots, tights, tartan skirt and plain top work very well together.
    To further illustrate your point about this look, here is a picture of my wife and I at a recent Celtic festival. I think her outfit works very well indeed.
    Sorry I didn't get any pictures of just her, so you have to put up with my ugly mug.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a picture of me and my lady. She normally wears something similiar whenever we go out. I definitely think it looks nice when the lady around your arm is wearing the same tartan as you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayin McFye View Post
    Here's a picture of me and my lady. She normally wears something similiar whenever we go out. I definitely think it looks nice when the lady around your arm is wearing the same tartan as you.

I agree !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    The other world is 18th century reenacting. I tend to go the whole nine yards and try and be as much of a perfectionist as I can be, i'm not totally there yet but I am honestly more comfortable and at home in these clothes than I am any other time.

That's me in the purple. If I don't look totally comfy that's because I'm standing in 90F sunshine in a fashion show and I've been forced to not only wear my poor woman leather stays, but my wool jacket over them.
    I like that. Yeah, you can't wear it to class, but I like it anyway. I think it's the straw hat...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again, a thread about lasses wear, and what happens? The overwhelming majority of the posters are guys. String is the only woman on the site to actually post a pic of herself in what she wears. None of our other lasses ask questions or post pictures of themselves, and I know for a fact that a few of them have some wonderful pictures to share.

we've seen a lot of the F-H.C.A.G. over the years....though she's quite nice to look at and I'm hardly complaining, mind you. But how about our other ladies?

I notice that when I put up the thread about tartan gowns, almost none of our lasses wrote anything in there. Hmmmm.

I return to this thought: that we as guys like to...or would like to... see our women dressed up in stuff that they'd never wear in a million years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, tastes differ from person to person regardless of gender. Some things are slightly "off" to my eye and preference, but that's just my taste. I can be very picky about clothing and the fit, especially if it's a bit pricey. Some of the basic concepts of what gets posted is along my lines of thought, especially kilted skirts, form-fitting tops and boots or nice shoes. Some of the other dresses and gowns, yeah... same basic concept of nice tartans or something lovely that would go well with a tartan sash. I have to admit, I'd probably be more likely to make something myself as far as evening gowns go. Again, for the price, I find myself being a bit picky about how things look.

As far as photos of myself, I have nothing to share at the moment. I'm hoping to change that eventually. And as far as matching my hubby's tartan... I'm more interested in wearing tartans with a connection to myself. If he gets a tartan that means a little more to him, I would consider wearing a matching tartan. So far, he hasn't had a lot of luck in his genealogy searches. Even my own searches (with McNeill and Grant, along with some other possibilities for other district tartans outside of Scotland) are making it difficult for me to officially feel good enough to consider choosing tartans like that. Aside from the Griffith tartan, that is (I kept my last name). Christopher did mention once something about wearing the Griffith tartan with me, but I feel funny about that one.

So there... I may not have a photo to post, but I did post a little more.

Someone elsewhere had asked if ladies wore kilt hose and flashes with their kilted skirts. Yes? No?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh! And String, I meant to say you look great I adore that period's fashions, too. Once I've had my fill of Victorian gowns (when I get back to sewing, that is), I would love to make a couple things from that time period as well. Thanks for sharing with us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again, a thread about lasses wear, and what happens? The overwhelming majority of the posters are guys. String is the only woman on the site to actually post a pic of herself in what she wears. None of our other lasses ask questions or post pictures of themselves, and I know for a fact that a few of them have some wonderful pictures to share.
    I will once my new coat comes. Humm I remember seeing pictures of cloves, Moosedog and my cuz pipesanddrumsnun on here in other threads..

we've seen a lot of the F-H.C.A.G. over the years....though she's quite nice to look at and I'm hardly complaining, mind you. But how about our other ladies?
    See above

I notice that when I put up the thread about tartan gowns, almost none of our lasses wrote anything in there. Hmmmm.
    I don't really wear gowns. It might be that my back support does not really allow for tight fitting garments. I think some of the ones pictured are very lovely, most are rather over doing the tartan and some are just hideous. I like the look of a dark coloured dress or suit with a tartan sash. Allowing the tartan to be an accent always seemed classy to me.

Just my two cents,
    Sara
    "There is one success- to be able to spend your life your own way."
    ~Christopher Morley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here's the only picture I have of Diane wearing something tartan.
    Her mum made her wedding dress and part of it was one of those really short waistcoat sort of things made in a tartan she found at the fabric store.
    She does have a dancing sash I gave herin the Macdonald Modern tartan in ancient toned colours. (A Macdonald Modern Ancient, whaddya know!)
    By gave I mean she told me we were married and it was about time she had a shash in HER new tartan. I love her.

She plans to make herself a tartan corset at some point and also to make a nice tartan ball gown a-la the second of the images Alan posted.

Anyway, here's one of the wedding pictures showing it.

Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast