X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Lasses Wear Thread

I noticed in another section of the forum that some of our lasses are feeling left out. There's some talk about "hey, what do I wear with that handsome kilted lad that I've got by my side?"

OK, so here's that thread. Admittedly, it's just one thread among hundreds, but what the heck.

Now, to get started I'm going to post some pictures of things that I wish MY lady would wear....but she won't. I'm going to focus on everyday stuff, not Renaissance Faire Wear or just a sash with a little black dress....though lord knows I've gone weak in the knees more than once at Faire. You lasses can take it from there.

Here's a nice sort of bustier top, with sexy lacings in the back. I like this, except that I'm not red-hot on the neckline. It could be teamed up with a really nice long skirt and be dressy, or dressed down with a knee-length skirt, like in the picture.

more, here: http://www.clangatherings.com/34JPEG.HTML

Make sure you look here for ideas...http://www.heritageofscotland.com/WO...,906,index.php

Heritage of Scotland has tons of womens stuff. How about this for that stunning 20-something....or 30-something or 40-something for knocking around on a hot day?

http://www.heritageofscotland.com/Ta...44,product.php

I think that most tartan can be contrasted against solid black, and will look good, pretty much without fail.

I don't know what to say about this except that I REALLY like it..the green against the black, whew!

Now.....ahhhhhhhh...there MIGHT be limits to this tartan thing, practically speaking. But hey, if you can carry it off......

OK, this next picture is kind of silly, but the point is that boots, tights, tartan skirt and plain top work very well together. The F-H.C.A.G. often wears boots with her tartan skirts.

In terms of skirts, most "regular" kilt skirts are cut and draped and shaped with the tartan oriented vertical/horizontal, like the one above. But you know, having a tartan skirt cut on the bias makes a LOT more sense for most women, IMHO.

You have to be pretty brave or have the body of a 19-year old track star to wear this, but....

Look at this website....really nice stuff, and a great website for browsing...
    http://www.mackilts.com/kilts-ladies.htm

and here's a wonderful bias-cut skirt from them, on a model who looks like a real human being.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CONTINUED:

I'll tell you right now... You wear a bias-cut tartan skirt in a weathered tartan with leather boots, a nice leather belt, and a knit top in an earth tone...maybe wind your hair up on top of your head and stick a pencil or a chopstick through it and I will follow you around like a puppy and beg to slay your dragons, buy you dinner and, do your dishes. Honest. I love that autumn look. It's classy and sexy and feminine, but not wimpy/girly in the slightest.

Penultimately, you CAN NOT LOSE with the "little black dress", black shoes and a tartan sash.

Finally, tartan shoes?

I dunno. You gotta be pretty dramatic, if you ask me, but what the heck? And they look like fun, if maybe not the most versatile item in your closet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my friends from class was wearing tartan high heels, a few days ago... it was pretty cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for starting this thread, Alan. I was actually starting to feel left out (seriously! Although I think I get more excited about the kilt stuff than Christopher does, and he gets pretty excited).

Some of these things are a bit... well... not me... but the whole kilted skirt, boots, and a nice top is something Christopher has practically been begging me to do for years (like I'd need my arm twisted or something).

The question for something like the kilted skirt is dressing it up? Casual and comfortable (like knocking around a Highland Games event)? Is a sash + kilted skirt or other accessories overkill? The guys have their do's and don'ts.... what about the gals?

So I'm very glad to see this thread. I'm looking forward to eventually getting myself some skirts and sashes and other stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! Yes! Yes! I'm so glad you started this thread! Have you looked at the book: "Tartan, Romancing the Plaid" ? I heard that the New York Times had an article saying that tartan will be BIG this fall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A kilted skirt can be purchased off of ebay for ludicrous amounts of money... ludicrously SMALL amounts of money....like 100% wool tartan kilt skirts from the UK sometimes go for under $20. There are always dozens of them available. There are also PV ones and wool blend ones available. some are clan tartans, some are just "plaid".

I want to re-emphasize this....look on ebay for tartan skirts. If you are on a tight budget, you will LOVE what you can find. If you want your clan tartan, then be patient, it will likely show up. Just search ebay for "kilt skirt"..."tartan skirt"...and "plaid skirt".

I don't need to tell you this but "size 12" can mean ANYTHING, right? So measure yourself carefully and honestly, and buy skirts that will fit your measurements. I bought the Cloaked in Midnight Joan a drop-dead gorgeous, 100% wool kilt skirt in Dress Blue Stewart for FIFTEEN DOLLARS a couple of years ago. It's ruddy gorgeous. I paid seven bucks to ship it from Florida to California, and six bucks to dry clean it. It might as well be brand new. It's a $200 skirt, easy....probably more.

At the Games...

A knee-length skirt , or just-above-the-knee skirt with a plain white or black scoop neck t-shirt and sandals looks great at the Games on a hot day.

One of the principles of wearing a kilt is not to wear stuff that detracts from the effect of the tartan. Thus the notion of usually not wearing a tartan tie with a kilt....though lots of guys wear tartan ties. It only makes sense to combine a tartan skirt with a plain color top, right?

If the skirt is plain, then stick with a top with simple lines. If a skirt is complex or frilly or something, then pick a top that matches.

for super-dressy, well....that's a whole 'nuther ball game!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Thread !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post

At the Games...

A knee-length skirt , or just-above-the-knee skirt with a plain white or black scoop neck t-shirt and sandals looks great at the Games on a hot day.

I'd say it looks pretty damn good the rest of the time too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal favorite I keep trying to get my wife to buy:
    http://www.heritageofscotland.com/Ta...44,product.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of the problem is that a lot of us guys like to (or would like to) dress our women up in stuff they'd never wear in a million years, I think. At least, that's the deal in my household.

Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast