X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrd View Post
    So your the one to cuss out when our system at the airport crashes?
    I, ah, er, had nothing to do with THAT system, but I was trying to sell it to Airborne.
    Wallace Catanach, Kiltmaker

A day without killting is like a day without sunshine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a few thoughts on the various shipping companies

Full disclaimer: My Beloved, Scratchy, delivers for FedEx Express in Flagstaff.

I do a fair amount of online ordering, but only once did I have something come from outside of the USA and it was along time ago, I don't recall the shipping entity, it was an auction item through Ebay, and it went fine.

There are a couple of prescriptions that I fill online and which are shipped 'next day' via FedEx Express (vs. "ground"). Never, ever, had a problem, can always check online for the location/status of my package, and they seem to always come via the same FedEx driver who is nice as punch, refers to me my by first name (something I otherwise ordinarily don't like too much in a biz sitch if I don't have an established history w/the person), and usually asks me how I'm feeling and if I'm feeling any better. (Pkg is obviously meds.) I like my 'local FedEx Express' guy, his demeanor and his obvious humanity

Once I had two different items coming in from two different entities, both via my FedEx guy - and he apparently didn't realize it when he brought the first item and then later in the day discovered the 2nd package. He came back that same afternoon, and apologized, saying, 'I THOUGHT there was a 2nd one, but I didn't see it when I came earlier - but here it is now, I came back to bring it to you.' Nice guy all around.

I have had UPS just dump stuff that was supposed to be 'signature required'.... and if I'm getting a box, say around Christmastime, from out of state family or such, dollars to donuts if it is delivered UPS, the box is going to look likesome body used it for soccer practice

I don't have much experience w/DHL, but have read quite a few 'bad reputation' things about them online - supposedly 1st-hand accounts of theft and such during DHL processing pre-delivery.

Given a choice, I would pick FedEx Express or the USPS for items of value rather than use DHL if there were options.

Oh, and fwiw, My Own PERSONAL FedEx Express Man (My Beloved), goes way out of his way to get his customers their deliveries intact and timely, bends over backwards to accomodate the customers who are, well, let's just say they are more 'difficult than not' to deal with, and really gives it his all when doing his job. There's been several times when he's called me down here in the Phx area to look up addresses online (google, mapquest, etc.) to try to find delivery addresses which do not seem to 'exist' according to the address/map information available to the workers at the Flag FedEx office. He will call people on his own cell time to coordinate deliveries, and to get address/direction specifics when he's having trouble w/a delivery out in the 'basic nowhere' and such. He also has some customers who get their meds through the VA via FedEx....... and does everything he can to make coordination of that as easy as possible on those customers, as well.

Just fwiw.
    m

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I ask a question about DHL? In the area I live it is common to see the yellow DHL van pull up outside the local post office and drop their parcels off as part the regular mail. Is this common? Are people just paying somebody to pick up/drop off at one end let USPS send then have DHL pick up/deliver at the other?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticMedic View Post
    Can I ask a question about DHL? In the area I live it is common to see the yellow DHL van pull up outside the local post office and drop their parcels off as part the regular mail. Is this common? Are people just paying somebody to pick up/drop off at one end let USPS send then have DHL pick up/deliver at the other?
    Other way around actually. DHL picks up and delivers mail for USPS frequently. It seems odd i know, but i pick up not only stuff from USPS but from the UPS store all the time. Sometimes load levels are high and we contract with each other for space on airplanes. Next time you fly commercial watch what they load in the cargo hold, many times you will see pallets of mail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyrd View Post
    DHL is a franchise operation in the US. They operate primarily with the Airborne infrastructure because they bought them out last year. Because they are franchise your experience may vary depending on where you live.

Marc
    DHL route manager
    This is truth, for some rural area's they say they will deliver but what happens is the package gets to the nearest large airport and then DHL ships it certified through the USPS, had this happen with an emergency overnight on a computer part which took 5 days to receive AND DHL would deliver to the town 16 miles away but not the one I was at even though I was assured by DHL reps that yes the item would be overnighted with no hassles. Getting my shipping charges refunded was a hassle. BUT, your mileage may vary just be cautious, like many, what they promise and what they deliver on varies, urban deliveries DHL seems to handle well, rural in my experience downright awful.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Wright; 8th May 08 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have goods delivered from Japan through DHL. The benefit from them is the trucks will return the goods to the warehouse everyday. The warehouse is open until late, so I can pick it up the same day they attempted to deliver when I was at work. FedEx on the other hand keeps regular office hours and will only release from the trucks after three unsuccessful deliveries. There is a very small window for pick up however, and after that back the package goes to the original shipper.

For my mind the best delivery is through the post office.
    His Grace Lord Stuart in the Middle of Fishkill St Wednesday

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234