X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extra long kilt hose?

Hey,
    I'm a pretty tall guy- upwards of six feet/two meters. On top of that, I have pretty long legs and, what's worse, a pretty beastly calf measurement. I can never find hose that are long enough to fold more than half a fold. Which sucks, because I have runners' legs, and I need hose that can fold to offset mah "wee skinneh" chicken legs. From floor to just under the knee, I need a pair of hose that can handle a 21 1/2" calf with enough to fold two to three times.
    Does anyone know where to find these?

My current hose (yes, yes, I only have one pair) is a pair of Stillwater hose, and they are not nearly long enough. I'm also working on a budget here- I'm young and I pay the price for it. Things like insurance and groceries eat up most of my money, so I'm looking for something under $30.
    Help?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Matt at the scottish tartans museum... I have bought his lewis hose for extra large calves and they work great. Another source for cheaper hose that fit us big guys is hamilton dry goods.

BTW, I am 6'1" and have 19 inch calves...
    "A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it." anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several sources which you will find here. But why do you feel that you have to turn the hose down 2-3 times? Usually once should be enough, even to cover flashes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are my HDG Cable Knit hose with a double roll-over

Here's a shot of the Cotton ribbed kilt hose (off-white that I died Brown with Rit dye)

At the time no one was carrying brown hose for large calves at $8/pr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 6'4 and have had no problem with the Gaelic theme hose sold by companies like www.scottishkilts.com, www.tartantown.com, and I believe www.usakilts.com

They are long enough, big enough (I'm a size 13) and they usually have ample room in the calf. I had one pair that didn't in the past 5+ years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galician View Post
    There are several sources which you will find here. But why do you feel that you have to turn the hose down 2-3 times? Usually once should be enough, even to cover flashes.
    Preference, really. If I just rolled once, I would not have to look so hard for hose at all. But I like a bulky, deep roll. It looks better to me. What can I say?

Thanks for the help, guys- I should be picking some out and placing an order pretty soon.
    Colin: I'm not seeing any "Gaelic themed" hose on those sites? Is this a term I'm not familiar with, or am I blind in my old age?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by H.M. Murdock View Post
    Colin: I'm not seeing any "Gaelic themed" hose on those sites? Is this a term I'm not familiar with, or am I blind in my old age?
    They won't be listed as Gaelic themes. That's just the manufacturer. You best bet is to give Rocky at USA kilts a call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Piper hose are very long, with ample room in the calf, and most people can easily fold them three times.
    "To the make of a piper go seven years of his own learning, and seven generations before. At the end of his seven years one born to it will stand at the start of knowledge, and leaning a fond ear to the drone he may have parley with old folks of old affairs." - Neil Munro

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyLawyer View Post
    Piper hose are very long, with ample room in the calf, and most people can easily fold them three times.
    Yup - I am a recent convert to "Piper" hose. I like them a lot, with my 19" calves and the "popcorn" tops easily fold over three times or four if you double them twice...

They can be found on e-bay for around $18 and at most sites for under $25.

They don't yet come in the variety of colors that I would like, but pretty nice anyway.

I recommend "Pipers" hose to you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised that none of the Rabble offered this suggestion "Can you knit?"

I've picked up the needles again after nearly 20 years of not knitting-(Mom [rest her soul] was a great knitter) just so I can try my hand at knitting a pair of hose to my liking. Still working on my sample squares-having a devil of a time maintaining the proper tension. They are either too tight or too loose. Maybe I just need to find a nice quite place away from distractions and give it another go.
    Earl D-
    Clans Cameron and MacLeod
    --------------------------------------------------
    I thought I had a handle on life-then one day the handle broke off!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast