X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashbourne Highland Gathering

I popped up to the Ashbourne gathering last Sunday (20th July) and this year the weather was almost perfect. Just one or two light showers but not enough to put a damper on things.

I took a few photos (though not as many as I had thought) and some video. Here's a little of each.

Band practice on the green

The highland dancing here included the sailor's hornpipe

Me in the car park. A stiff neck from all the driving perhaps?

The massed bands gather in the main arena

A demonstration of Scottish Country Dancing - delightful
    Warwickshire - Shakespeare's county.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pictures bring back some very happy memories of that area of the UK,thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics and a great little video. Maybe it was the tempo of the music but it made me feel sad that Ann is no longer able to partcipate in Scottish Country Dancing with me.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice to see Martin I wish I could have been with you

Derek

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pictures Martin - from the pictures you have shared the scale doesn't make it look any bigger than Harpenden though.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for sharing those images with us Martin, I was thinking much the same as Trefor: the Ashbourne Gathering does not appear to be as large as I was expecting.

Your video clip was interesting too, and shows how difficult it can be to dance on grass, especially after a shower of rain. I could see that the poor dancers were unable to execute precise footwork for fear of slipping, and I know how scary that can be when giving a demonstration!

Did you meet up with any other X Markers whilst there?

Take care,
    Ham.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful photos Martin, I especially want to thank you for the Scottish Country Dancing video, as Ham says the precise footwork may not be there due to dancing on grass which, I can attest is a challenge at the best of times, however it is still a joy to watch. I find during the sumer months there are just not enough SCD events here, it is one reason to look forward to the fall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Many thanks for sharing those images with us Martin, I was thinking much the same as Trefor: the Ashbourne Gathering does not appear to be as large as I was expecting.

Did you meet up with any other X Markers whilst there?

Take care,
    Ham.
    Well Ham and Trefor, perhaps I oversold the scale of the event. However,. the grounds are larger, the main arena is larger and there are more stalls/sideshows etc. It is a slightly bigger event I can assure you, though not hugely. Of course, you could always come and see for yourself next year!!

For the record, I prefer the Harpenden gathering, a much prettier and more intimate setting.

No Hamish, sadly I didn't meet any other X Markers there. maybe next time.
    Warwickshire - Shakespeare's county.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that larger grounds would require an exponential level of attendance to give the right sense of scale.

Maybe next year I can stay with my Mum in Cheshire, Ashbourne isn't too far from Macclesfield!
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast