X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice needed

So, I will be officiating my cousin's wedding in October at the beautiful Oregon coast. naturally, I will be wearing my kilt for the ceremony but I was wondering what advice you folks may have on what sort of shirt to wear. It is not formal, so I am not worrying about wearing a Prince Charlie jacket. I have been told to wear just a white dress shirt with my tartan tie. Others have said no.

I dont think my white Jacobite shirt is "dressy' enough and was wondering abotu more colorful shirts of that style I have seen in say black or green. But what would work well with a Ramsay Blue?

If were you and you were performing a semi-formal/casual ceremony how would you handle the situation when it came to dress?

My thanks to you gentlemen and ladies for the advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with the white shirt and tie if necessary but not necessarily a tie. If wearing a tie then proper hose and suitable shoes. No matter how 'informal' or casual, it is still a wedding and I think looking sharp, not sloppy, is a requirement. I also think a bow-tie looks sharp with a kilt, although I don't wear one at other times.
    His Grace Lord Stuart in the Middle of Fishkill St Wednesday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to be casual and semi-formal at the same time! If I were preforming the ceremony, then I would wear a jacket. The white shirt and tartan tie sounds great. A jacket over the white Jacobite is probably acceptable, but might look a little like a costume. Just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White shirt & tie are adequate. You should also wear hose, etc. Then again, I only wear a tie for interviews, weddings & funerals. I'm anti-formal to an almost extreme degree.
    A nice jacket would be good; as you are officiating, you do want to look the part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing a Garden wedding in September,dress is 'according to 9California) weather'. I'll wear my Clergy Tartan Kilt & Fly Plaid with a black short-sleeved knit shirt, Black hose.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to confess that I have little idea on the sort of weather you have in October,but I suppose you must be heading into some sort of cooler weather.So,no matter how casual you want to be, keeping cool/warm is a consideration.

I do think for a wedding,however casual,a bit of an effort is still appropriate.Might I suggest a white shirt,tie(not bow tie),an Argyll jacket and waistcoat(vest) and suitable kilt hose and shoes.You could forego the Argyll,if needs be, and just wear the waistcoat(vest) which is a very effective way of being casual and smart at the same time.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 19th July 08 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I do have a vest I wear at more dressy occassions..it is black.

I suppose I would do well to get colored hose as I only have a pair of off-whites now.

I just dont want to look too terribly bad...lol. ANd with the economy as it is in my area and my job, finances are rather tight. Not whining, just saying.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK First off I'd steer clear of the Jacobite shirt, to me it seems a bit of a costume given the occaision, so go with the White Shirt, an Argyll jacket preferably a Black one with Silver buttons, as for the tie I am not a big fan of Tartan ties and always opt for a solid colour wool tie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be officiating my cousin's wedding...It is not formal...I have been told to wear just a white dress shirt with my tartan tie. Others have said no.
    What's your cousin say? It's their wedding, after all. If the bride says informal, then informal it is; no coat, and perhaps no tie. Never hurts to ask for clarification, but it's her big day. Respect her wishes.

A complimentary blue Oxford shirt would look good with Blue Ramsay, or perhaps a blue shirt with clerical collar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with an Argyll jacket and a solid-coloured tie. Personally I've alway disliked the white shirt and tie stand-alone look, whether with kilted attire or Saxon wear. Traditionally, in the history and terminology of a suit, a white shirt is considered underwear!
    [B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]John Hart[/COLOR]
    Owner/Kiltmaker - Keltoi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast