X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 chance meetings this weekend! And an entertaining story

First things first- Hey McVarmit- it was awesome seeing you this weekend!

Second, this was the weekend of the Elizabeth, Colorado Celtic festival, at which I had a vendors tent. So now that you all know--

Interesting chance meeting #1- MCvarmit. I'm at my vendor tent just watching people, and I noticed a guy walking by with a pair of desert camo flashes. I left my booth in the capable hands of my partner and ran over to the guy to ask him where he got them. He and I got into a rather pleasant conversation, and I told him about X Marks. He said "I post there a lot!" So I asked him his user name, and it turned out to be our very own McVarmit! That was very cool I do have to say. it was pure dumb luck.

Interesting chance meeting #2- http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendid=8540332

I went to see these guys play. I'd seen them once before and I love them, so I had to catch a few songs. After the show was over their violinist Amanda Malone came over to me and said "Hey! I know you!" I asked her where from. My mother was her piano teacher when we were kids! I hadn't seen her since the late 1980's, but she recognized me and remembered my name even! It totally took me by surprise! I didn't remember anything at all about her until she told me about her first recietal, which was at our house.

And not a chance meeting- Livingston dropped in to say hello. I knew he was going to be there. Livingston, thanks for saying hello. Always a pleasure, brother.

Now onto the entertaining story- the bonny knees contest. My business partner brought along our slave labor- her nephew Mark. Marks father is one of those people who believes that the kilt is just one step from cross dressing and hates (vehemently!) the idea of his son wearing one. Mark on the other hand wants very much to wear a kilt because he loves the way I look in mine. So I brought one of my son's kilts for him so he could also enter the contest (and I did get his mothers permission for that.) Mark and I entered the contest. He was one of the last to go. The randy wenches they had judging us wanted us to spin around to show off our... pleats. Most of us made our kilts fly as high as possible and Mark saw more bare asses than a donkey farmer. He was beat red and trembling and when the judges called his name. But gods bless him, he went up there and went through their testing of his knees! He went up there and all the ladies went 'AW!!! He's so CUTE!!" He told them it was his first ever in a kilt, so they just loved him up as much as possible. And Mark is a huge ham, so once they ladies got him to relax, he got into it and the Mark that I know and love came out, and he won over the judges. He couldn't have won the contest because all the prizes revolved around scotch, but he got honorable mention as the all around cutest enterant. He's decided that when he turns 18, he's going to get himself a few kilts. He's sold and wants to do as many Celtic fests as possible with Colorado Celtic. So we have a kiltie in the making.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and then there was the guy wearing kilt, t shirt, tennis shoes, scrunched down kilt hose... and flashes wrapped around his calves. What the... He come over to my booth to talk to me. I had the hardest time not bursting into hysterics...
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Oh, and then there was the guy wearing kilt, t shirt, tennis shoes, scrunched down kilt hose... and flashes wrapped around his calves. What the... He come over to my booth to talk to me. I had the hardest time not bursting into hysterics...
    I'm glad I missed him.....I would have been in hysterics. Glad to see you made it thru the weekend. On the way back home my truck was low enough on gas that it was all vapor and it was acting like there was not drop in the tank. Had to stop off to put a few dollars in.

McV, sorry I missed seeing you there yesterday. That would have gotten me to stick around in the heat longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flashes wrapped around his calves??

Member - X Marks Honor Roll
    Former House Chairman/Forum Advocate

Reston, Virginia, USA (Suburban Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpdressedscot View Post
    Flashes wrapped around his calves??
    That sounds like something I would do just to cause the hysterics.
    Dee

Ferret ad astra virtus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by starbkjrus View Post
    That sounds like something I would do just to cause the hysterics.
    I thought I could wear a pair around my head- use the elestic as a sweat band and the flashes to keep my ears from getting sun burnt. If that guy was trying to cause hysterics, he sure succeeded!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the pics of one chance meeting uploaded! Here's McVarmit and I:

Mark and I at the Bonny Knees contest:

It was Marks first time in a kilt. He was wearing my sons Black Watch Sport Kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's be thankful that his pleats were (hopefully) in the rear.