X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Konnichiwa from Japan...

I bet you all thought I'd be Japanese... Well, for most folks in my neck of the woods, getting any of the locals to wear a kilt would be a bit of a stretch. Nevertheless, greetings from Kofu, Japan (about 1.5 hrs by train, West of Tokyo).

My wife and I both come from Canada but have chosen to make Japan our home (at least for the time being) and have lived here for about five and a half years. We both teach English for the local board of education. Several months ago, I was able to scrape together sufficient pennies to order a Utilikilt online. I had known about them for some time but just never had the spare cash to go out and buy one. Women really do find men in kilts sexy... I only had mine on for 20 minutes before my wife came home from work and it came off almost immediately after.

I know that this question will inevitably come up, so I'll answer it straight away...

Q - How do Japanese people react when they see you wearing a kilt?

A - Varies. Many people seem genuinely confused, others snicker. Yet others think it's awesome! But for the most part, no one seems to look at anyone around here -- some days I feel like I could walk down the street to the 7-11 completely naked and no one would even give me a second glance, much less think it weird.

Since then, I've come to appreciate the comfort of my kilts and shrug off any strange looks and stares I get from the locals. A few of the braver Japanese will come up and ask me what I'm wearing, and I'm always happy to explain. In recent weeks I purchased a more traditional kilt from Stillwater, one that I'm immensely happy with. I got the Nightstalker tartan -- it looks sharp with a nice T-shirt and black shoes. This kilt is a bit easier for people to understand when they see me in it, as they can identify it as a traditional, Scottish garment, but nonetheless unusual for anyone in Asia to be wearing one.

I was actually very surprised to learn that Japan hosts its own version of Highland Games, which are held in early October near Tokyo. Can't wait to go!

My next (longer term) purchase will hopefully be a proper, wool custom-made kilt from a reputable kilt-maker. Due to the high cost, I once again have to save pennies for a while to make it happen. My heritage isn't Scottish at all, but Czech, and much to my great surprise, the Czech Republic is home to an active "Friends of Scotland" society, who, recently (this year) registered the "Czech National" tartan with the Scottish tartan authority. It's really an awesome pattern, and that's exactly what I'll be wanting to order when the time is right. (ITI#7474 in case anyone wants to see what it looks like).

Anyway, that's all the verbosity from me for now. Bored at work so I thought I'd write a little more about myself rather than just a quick, simple "hello."

the desolate sandy wastes of Tucson, Sonora Desert, Baja Arizona, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cead mille failte!

Good to have you here.
    - The Beertigger
    "The only one, since 1969."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Vancouver. Where in Canada is home?
    His Grace Lord Stuart in the Middle of Fishkill St Wednesday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dee Ho from I Dee Ho - welcome to the rabble!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and a warm Celtic from Boston, Massachusetts.
    Enjoy the addiction.
    Slainte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome,from Inverness-shire.I would think that a large proportion of visitors to this part of Scotland are from Japan------if only I had a £ for every picture that the Japanese visitors have taken of me wearing the kilt---------.They love the kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A warm welcome to the forum from London.

best regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from New Jersey. Congratulations on your first few kilts. The Czech National tartan is very nice, I'm sure you'll be happy with it when you eventually save up. Then comes the jones after you've ordered it!
    "To the make of a piper go seven years of his own learning, and seven generations before. At the end of his seven years one born to it will stand at the start of knowledge, and leaning a fond ear to the drone he may have parley with old folks of old affairs." - Neil Munro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Sherwood, OR. Enjoy your stay.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast