X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wearing of miniature medals with PC?

Though it will be a while, unless I can find one gently used, I do plan on getting a PC and waistcoat for formal occasions. My question is for veterans of the military, regardless of nationality, is is it appropriate to wear the miniature medals with the PC? I have seen it done, but that does not mean it is right. As an off shoot to this question, have any of you worn a kilt to a formal ball where uniforms are required for serving members? I saw a pic on SportKilts site of a gentleman wearing a mess dress jacket with Air Force tartan, though he was not a senior NCO, and I have no information if he was currently serving. Just trying to get thoughts for next years Ball; would love to wear a mess dress with the Air Force tartan kilt, provided I'm not breaking any rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There really are no regulations for wearing a kilt with the uniform, meaning that it is against regs. Now, some commanders will okay it but if I were still in, I wouldn't wear one without getting it cleared first.

Now, for former members wearing civilian dress (tuxedos, prince charlies, etc.), you may wear the miniature medals to military events or formal events were medals are specifically requested. As a former serviceman, wearing the medals you earned to a military ball would certainly be appropriate.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

old pic

Mr. Birddog, i wear my miniature medals on all formal occasions. weather its on a PC or a tux jacket, being a veteran, its highly encouraged by all veteran org. if your still on active duty i really don't know what the regs. say. i posted this pic a couple of years ago, it was for a RVN reunion, please pardon my snotty smirk.

semper fi

slick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Mini-Manual of Medal Wearing

Yours is a two part question, if I read it correctly.

So, part one: NO, it is not appropriate to wear any part of the service uniform (US Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Public Health Service, or Marine Corps) with civilian attire if you are still on active or reserve service status. As a civilian, mixing parts of the service uniform with non-uniform items looks like a costume and gives the impression of having no respect for the uniform.

Part two: McVarmit's photo shows how miniature medals should be properly worn on a Prince Charlie coatee, or on a tuxedo jacket or tails coat.

Medals are appropriately worn with civilian black tie (PC or tuxedo) when the host of the event makes it clear that the wearing of medals is appropriate. The invitation, or admission ticket to the event will clearly state "Black Tie, decorations". If the invitation does not mention decorations then no medals should be worn.

While on the subject it may worth mentioning that neither the Prince Charlie coatee nor miniature medals are ever worn during the day. For day time wear only full size medals are to be worn, and they are worn in the same manner as prescribed for miniature medals worn in the evening.

Service ribbons are not worn with civilian attire except by bandsmen in uniform, or para-military organizations, such as SAMS, who wear them on their distinctive uniform shirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post

Medals are appropriately worn with civilian black tie (PC or tuxedo) when the host of the event makes it clear that the wearing of medals is appropriate. The invitation, or admission ticket to the event will clearly state "Black Tie, decorations". If the invitation does not mention decorations then no medals should be worn.
    Unless it is a military type event, in which case the wear of medals is always appropriate, whether mentioned or not, like the military ball he mentioned.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davedove View Post
    Unless it is a military type event, in which case the wear of medals is always appropriate, whether mentioned or not, like the military ball he mentioned.
    Well I think that's obvious, especially if you are attending in uniform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned the wearing of the kilt with military mess dress and accoutrements(sp) because I saw a picture of an apparent Air Force member doing just that at an AF ball. I come from the flying world where we rarely did formal things; now that I am with Space Command, I will be attending a hell of a lot more formal functions. Hence that question.
    Whilst some of the comments to do with the miniature medals are somewhat contradictory, they are still helpful. Thank you all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. Dog,
    since i've been out of the military for 40+ yrs. i haven't a clue as to what space command is,if that means your on active duty, READ the regs. don't base your decision on a dubious picture. as for veterans who aren't on active duty, such as myself, i wear what i damn well please, weather it be ribbons, mini's or gongs.if i'm invited to a formal get together, thats another story. at that point i will dress according to the guide lines.

semper fi
    USMC 1964-1967
    RVN 1965-1967, 3rd marine amphibious force

McVarmit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BirdDog,

Ive seen that picture, I think it looks very sharp. I also really like the pic of mcvarmit with his minis and pc.

I still would clear it through your Chain of Command....and then post pics so I can be proud of my fellow Kilted Airman/Marine!
    Last edited by jbaker42j; 26th July 08 at 11:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to wear a my mess dress with my Army Kilt once to a Military Ball but only because I got written permission from a flag officer( Brigader General) and also because he wore his too!!!
    HERMAN, Adventurer, BBQ guru, student of history

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast