X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"A Man's A Man" sheet music

For my choir audition this fall, I'm going to sing "A Man's A Man For A' That," by Robert Burns (as if you didn't know).

Of course, I had a conundrum: how to get the sheet music for as little as possible? I don't really want to buy a whole music book for just one song, you know, and paying $5 for a download seems a bit extravagant.

So …

I went to the Electric Scotland site and found scans of The Scots Minstrelsie (from eighteen hundred and something or other), which contained "A Man's A Man."

I copied the pictures of the music and entered it into Finale, and fiddled around with it a bit to make it easier to sing, added all the lyrics, and generally had a bit of a time with it.

For your bemusement and possible enjoyment, here is the result:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's pretty clever of you to figure out all those steps - I'm curious to know if you entered all the notation by hand or if you scanned it and used an OCR-like process to upload the score into Finale. And was the time you took to do all that worth $5? Someday, I trust you'll not be a Poor, Starving Liberal Arts Student, and you'll end up coming to a different conclusion to that calculation, I hope.

Ever since a summer trip to Scotland in 1980 I've been in possession of a musty copy of Volume IV of Scots Minstrelsie. I can't tell when it was published - it doesn't strike me as an original edition (it has none of the pictures shown in the Electric Scotland scans) - though it seems very old. It was given to me by a fellow in Glasgow in gratitude for my helping him work out an issue that had been bothering for a long time. I never felt I deserved it, but he wouldn't let me refuse it. I don't play or sing from it - the music doesn't interest me all that much - yet somehow it ended up being my only souvenir from the six weeks I spent in England and Scotland that summer, so I hang on to it. Someday maybe I'll pass it on to a folk band who'll put it to good use.

Regards,
    Rex.
    At any moment you must be prepared to give up who you are today for who you could become tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I entered it by hand. I actually enjoy that sort of thing Besides, this way, I can change the key or the lyrics or the timing, etc. of the piece I want to sing. It may seem unnecessary, but I find some amount of satisfaction and enjoyment from the exercise. Of course, owning a book of Rabbie's songs would be preferable, but that will have to wait until I actually have a disposable income.