X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daytime wedding wear

I could use some help putting together an outfit. Next week, there is a wedding at my church, and I'm singing in the choir. Since I'm positive we will end up in alot of pictures, I want to make sure I'm well dressed.

I'm not sure what shirt, tie and jacket combination will be the most appropriate.

Here are my options:
    -Argyll and matching 5 button waistcoat, in black wool
    -PC and matching 3 button waistcoat, in blue wool

Here are a few things I'm confused about in terms of the "rules" for formal wear...

-The wedding is at 10:30 am. Is a PC appropriate/acceptable for a daytime wedding?

-If I wear the PC, should I wear it with a "tuxedo" shirt and bow tie, or is a standard dress shirt and tie acceptable?

-I thought I'd mention that the groomsmen and the groom's father are wearing tuxedos, as a reference point for the formality of the event. I don't know if this changes anything...

What should I wear?

Any advice, suggestions, pictures, and questions are greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The general rule for guests at a 'formal' daytime wedding is the standard "dark suit and tie". A lot of folks might say that morning coats or cutaways would be more appropriate for the wedding party than tuxedos, but these guidelines don't seem to mean as much as they used to...
    I'd go with the Argyll and waistcoat, white dress shirt, and tie- black or co-ordinating your tartan. Don't worry about under dressing, Every wedding I've been to, there are some folks in jeans, t-shirts or tube tops to make you look good!

Here's me with the bride at my brother-inlaws' day wedding.
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as "The Rules" the Prince Charlie should be worn at night it is afterall evening wear, so for a wedding at 10:30 am I would say wear the Argyll and Waistcoat. I do not have a Black Argyll, one thing I should rectify at some point, but I do have a Grey Breamer and Waistcoat that I would wear in that situation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    As far as "The Rules" the Prince Charlie should be worn at night it is afterall evening wear, so for a wedding at 10:30 am I would say wear the Argyll and Waistcoat. I do not have a Black Argyll, one thing I should rectify at some point, but I do have a Grey Breamer and Waistcoat that I would wear in that situation.
    I'll second McMurdo: The Argyll with vest is the equivalent of a dress suit, especially with the vest. I bought a black Braemer, and use it for everything from the equivalent of a Sport coat and tie to a Tux. (then I use a black vest, formal shirt and bow tie, no fancy belt buckle, (which would be pretty much hidden) and a furry evening sporran. One of the things I love about the Kilt how you can dress it up or down as the occasion demands!
    The pipes are calling, resistance is futile. - MacTalla Mor

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listen Zardoz and Glen nailed it.

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking for a photo to better illustrate my point if I were going to a daytime wedding I would wear something like this, with a daywear sporran:

or something like this

However as you are in the Choir I'm not sure, this begs the question how formal is the rest of the choir going to be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Argyll. Even with formal weddings it's extremely unusual for anyone outside of the immediate wedding party (father, groom & groomsmen) to go black tie.

If I wear the PC, should I wear it with a "tuxedo" shirt and bow tie, or is a standard dress shirt and tie acceptable?
    Tux shirt & black bow tie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    Don't worry about under dressing, Every wedding I've been to, there are some folks in jeans, t-shirts or tube tops to make you look good!
    You're welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    However as you are in the Choir I'm not sure, this begs the question how formal is the rest of the choir going to be?
    I'm not sure. I may be the only male vocalist. If I'm not, my godbrother is also going to sing. He's wanting to wear his kilt also, but he doesn't own a jacket...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    Don't worry about under dressing, Every wedding I've been to, there are some folks in jeans, t-shirts or tube tops to make you look good!
    I'm definitely not worried about being under dressed. I'm honestly more worried about being over dressed.

Quote Originally Posted by PiobBear View Post
    Tux shirt & black bow tie.
    I'm definitely leaning toward the argyll now. I have the PC and waistcoat, but I don't have a tux shirt or bow tie. Money's a bit tight right now, so I'll probably just go with what I have, and then buy a tux shirt and bow tie before the next evening event I go to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast