X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To wear or not to wear...Royal Marines Beret

Ok, so just about everyone who has read a thread of mine knows I'm a Marine serving in the AF. In the past when I have worn my Leatherneck SK, I have also proudly worn a British Royal Marines Commando beret with it; my way of honouring both. You see, I worked with the Royal Marines a few years ago in a country that shall remain nameless, and they were some of the best I've ever worked with. Working with them for days, and buying them pints when I got them out of said country, they made me an honourary Royal Marine, and gave me some kit, including a beret. Now my question really has to do with wearing their beret badge, somewhat like our Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. I justified wearing the badge with it because they made me and honourary, and it does help keep the Green Berets stationed near here off my butt when they think I'm wearing one of their berets.
    Basically, I'm just wanting opinions on whether I should no longer wear the badge; I have tons of respect for the Royal Marine Commandos, and wish to honour them in the best way. I love the beret, and will continue to wear it, just not sure about the badge. I know how I would feel if I saw some civilian wearing our EGA, but I think my situation is a little different.
    Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the Royal Marines would that out of uniform, anyways.
    Airman. Piper. Scholar. - Avatar: MacGregor Tartan
    “KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.” - Ambrose Gwinett Bierce
    www.melbournepipesanddrums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think it is a problem. You were made an honourary Royal Marine by working with them. They trust you to repersent them in the best light. I say go for it!
    His Noble Excellency Ryan the Innocent of Waldenshire under Throcket
    Free Your Legs!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a son serving in the Royal Marines and I lost a nephew on the first day of the second Iraq war who was also a RM, and I know that there is huge mutual respect between the two units.This is a tricky one!Generally speaking I do not approve of wearing a unit badge once you have "retired",that is the British way.However you were presented with the beret and RM cap badge as an honoury RM,something that would not be handed out lightly.

So what to do?

Might I suggest that you wear the beret and not the badge,but I do recognise that you Americans see things slightly differently to us so wearing the badge should not be too bad.I really do apreciate your sensitivity on this matter.

Hot off the press! I have just been talking to my son who is in a hot mountainous country about this.His exact words were "Tell him to wear the b---- beret and badge and if someone bothers you, refer them to No.42 Commando! He was presented with it from us(Royal Marines) then damn well wear it!"

There, I would say, you have it chapter and verse. Oh! and thank you for giving our chaps a hand.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 11th August 08 at 02:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    "Tell him to wear the b---- beret and badge and if someone bothers you, refer them to No.42 Commando! He was presented with it from us(Royal Marines) then damn well wear it!".
    That's a knot in the tread.
    Airman. Piper. Scholar. - Avatar: MacGregor Tartan
    “KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.” - Ambrose Gwinett Bierce
    www.melbournepipesanddrums.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Birddog,

I'm also a Marine. Playing devil's advocate a bit here- why not wear the Marine Corps emblem on a nice dark khaki balmoral and save the beret and badge as a symbol of your shared time under arms together?

Matt Newsome, among others, has a really sharp military-style dark khaki balmoral that should pair nicely with the EGA insignia. You can even dude it up with a nice scarlet and gold two-color feather hackle.

I can understand about your admiration for the Royal Marines, since I share it. But if I'm going to wear an emblem it will be the one that I have the stongest tie to and the most admiration for: the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

Additionally, I think that it would get tiring having to explain to folks (who will invariably ask) that you're not a real Royal Marine, but you're wearing the beret and insignia because you're an honorary Royal Marine, served with them, bought them pints, etc.

Cordially,

David

actualrealproperscot is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seeing that the royal marines have many months more basic your training than your average american marine. You may have to go through tougher more extensive training to wear their beret.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by actualrealproperscot View Post
    seeing that the royal marines have many months more basic your training than your average american marine. You may have to go through tougher more extensive training to wear their beret.
    Or he could go ahead and wear it with the blessing of the Commandos who gave it to him and a currently serving Commando who has been appraised of thr situation and told him to go ahead and wear it.

I just spoke to an old school friend of mine who is at home recuperating after getting injured over in the sand pit (His own fault, unfortunately) and he's also said that you should go ahead and wear it proudly. As far as he's concerned you earned it.

P.S.
    Thanks for your service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it seems that I have the blessing of atleast a couple of RMs, so I shall continue. David, I just don't care for the balmoral, something I can't seem to get over. Though I have seen those pics, and they are nice. I wear the beret with my Leatherneck to honour both sides of my Marine lines. Thanks all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock, your RMs were some of the best damned troops I have ever worked with, and I have worked with more than a dozen different countries directly. If I requested 5 marines to give me a hand, I got 15, and they knew how to get things done. And the bastards can drink, too! Tell your son to keep his head down, and his rifle clean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast