X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Block of wood?

How the heck does that work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have met one self-taught piper who was decent. He got a lot of pointers, but no real formal instruction. I've met nobody who was "good" without a teacher. And going it totally alone is a recipe for disaster.

The bagpipes are an instrument of wonderful and powerful majesty, but you work for it. There are several hurdles to overcome along the way, not least of which is coordinating your blowing and squeezing to keep the air pressure steady in the bag. That's a hard one to learn at first and everyone has to go through it. Then you toss in marching and it makes everything harder! A teacher is very important here. Very.

Straight fingers are for a couple of reasons. I also started on tinwhistle, so the straight fingers bothered me until I had them explained (now I notice that very good whistle players sometimes play straight). First, try drumming your fingers on a table with them curved over. Do it as fast as you can. Now, try it with them straight. The curved fingers have a tension that you have to fight against in order to lift them up. This may not slow you down much, but it leads to finger fatigue and sloppy playing. Second, many people can not actually accurately finger the chanter with the fingertips. Straight fingers reach out better. But the tension thing is the most important reason. Makes for cleaner playing.

As mentioned (though it bears repeating), bands generally give free lessons. Some bands will subsidize lessons, but either way you are learning to play for a whole lot less than a private teacher. However, I have noticed that the best players I know have private teachers. You can get a band going fairly well for basic street band playing with one teacher and a room full of students, but to get good solo pipers seems to require individual instruction.

Good luck!

-Patrick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with a 25$ pakistani PC and the CoP tutor#1

everytime I practiced I had a mirror set up to make sure I had my fingers right and Like has been said "went slow "

self teaching can be done, but you better have a degree of OCD and lots patience.
    be a sponge and soak up anything you can pick up from pipers you meet.
    it can be done.

I still have a problem with burls ....but thats because I broke my pinky finger when I ws younger and it didnt set right...they call it a boxer's fracutre....can you guess how I got it

I never wanted to compete so playing to a grade was never a concern for me.
    I still feel I represent piping in a good light.
    if you want to see BAD piping goto this page of Bobdunsire.com
    worst piping vids on youtube

and for the best ...look at this vid
    Angus MacColl
    Irish diplomacy: is telling a man to go to he)) in such a way that he looks forward to the trip!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where in NC are you located? There's a few pipebands in Raleigh/Durham and there is one in Fayetteville. My teacher lives in Raleigh but gives lessons down in Fayetteville, so I get pipes twice a week, most weeks. I used the John Cairns system while in Iraq to maintain myself and made a little progress.
    I'm a well rounded guy - English motorcycles, Irish brew, and Scottish clothes and music.

JS Sanders is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    << I still have a problem with burls ....but thats because I broke my pinky finger when I ws younger and it didnt set right...they call it a boxer's fracutre... >>

I'm digressing this thread a bit, but perhaps it may help.

I'll presume you know to have the edge of your right thumb against the chanter, not the inner flat part. Hold it like it's a lightly varnished doggie doodie.

This birl technique has worked for people I've assisted with injured or stiff pinkies - it's generally called a Seven Sweep Birl. Hope I describe it well, it's a little like describing how to tie knots.

Execute a downward sweep of the pinky to below the chanter loA note hole. Your pinky rests gently on the chanter. Next you bring the finger back up, in a slight curling motion, almost like a flourish. Done properly, it looks like you're drawing a #7.

An old master who was invaluable to me, said find a birl that works for you and practice 500 time daily 'til you get it. Doing that cinches it. A properly performed birl is a close 2nd only to a beautifully barking leumlath.

Slainte,
    steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieT100 View Post
    Where in NC are you located? There's a few pipebands in Raleigh/Durham and there is one in Fayetteville. My teacher lives in Raleigh but gives lessons down in Fayetteville, so I get pipes twice a week, most weeks. I used the John Cairns system while in Iraq to maintain myself and made a little progress.
    I live in Gastonia/Charlotte. I found a band, one of the only two I could go.
    And the other one plays Irish Warpipes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I've tried that approach...my pinky will lock up and pop when I try that.
    when I make a fist my pinky sits about 3/4" lower than the rest of my hand....when you palpate the bone you can actually FEEL the curve in the bone!...it makes typing a female dog too...

the only thing that works is a fast down up ( if that sounds right) and it gives me a halfway decent burl.
    nothing like the blackwatch's "ripping a phonebook in two" effect ( I've always loved this discription of a good burl..or was it a D-throw? either way it works for both!)

totally OT but there you have it

KFP
    Irish diplomacy: is telling a man to go to he)) in such a way that he looks forward to the trip!

JS Sanders is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another to try...

I use the Tap & Curl Birl method. Place your finger directly above the loA-hole and all you do is curl inward, sweeping past the hole as you do so. Just separate the movements: tap/bounce, rest, and curl (just barely sweeping past the hole for the second loG sound of the birl.

When you execute it well, it is blistering fast. It just plain rips and really compliments a kick-**** reel. The 500 repetitions a day still apply in learning it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to get a more consistent birl starting with my pinkie slightly below the hole, sweeping/tapping up, then curling. The finger makes a bit of a cirlce going from the upsweep to the curl. Hard to explain, but it seems to work for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try http://bagpipelessons.com

Jori Chisolm offers a variety of lessons online, via web, by tape, etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast