X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

self-taught pipes?

OK, I've been wanting to learn the pipes. I really can't get a tutor (I'm kind of strapped for cash right now), but I think I can get atleast a PC and book.

I was wondering if it's possible to learn the pipes without an actual tutor.

The best deal I've had for learning pipes was at place about 40 mins away, but I don't think I can make that.

JS Sanders is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many instructors won't accept students who have gone the self-taught route. You'll have learned much incorrectly and have even more to unlearn and relearn. Self-pipers play in a style that properly trained pipers can easily detect.

Find a way to get to an instructor or wait until you can. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but you'll be a better piper for it someday.

40 mins distance is very near. I know pipers who have instructors literally hours away.

Slainte,
    steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a self taught musician for the few instruments that I know. I do not know the pipes yet but I also was planning on buying a practice chanter here soon and self teaching myself. I cannot read music, so I'm usually forced to learn by hearing alone and I'm actually really good at it.

They didn't have sheet music for thousands of years so I figure it's natural to play by ear.

However I'm sure JS Sanders knows more about this topic in regards to pipes and he may be right regarding a difference in style from a self taught/ instructor taught piper.

I saw go for it personally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew Lenz has an article about it on his website that covers most of the reasons why you shouldn't try to teach yourself.

It's generally a very bad idea; as JS Sanders says, most pipers can detect a self-taught piper instantly, which should tell you that teaching yourself doesn't end up with the same results as learning from an instructor.

I would suggest getting an instructor; if you can't afford one, see if there's a pipe band that gives free lessons. (Many do, with the understanding that you'll play with them as you learn.) Check out the Bob Dunsire forums and see who's near you that might be able to help.
    --Scott
    "MacDonald the piper stood up in the pulpit,
    He made the pipes skirl out the music divine."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you know yourself to be a gifted muscian, then I would go ahead full steam at self-teaching. But, even so there is a caution - there are things only an instructor can pass on that are not in the books. If you are not that familiar with music or just a technician with another instrument, then I would not waste the time to teach yourself. I agree with Stevie. It is a frustration to learn on your own and it's even worse to unlearn bad mistakes when you do eventually find an instructor...if you can find one that will take a self-taught piper.

JS Sanders is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To illustrate further...

Once I provided some instruction to a member of the local symphony. A classically trained & degreed musician. A woodwind player.

After a few lessons, which were preceded by a number of hours self-teaching, he slammed down the practice chanter in utter frustration. In a raised voice he exclaimed, "This S of a B is hard as hell! Staff notation for bagpipes is nothing but a %&#@ing suggestion! I thought this was a folk instrument!"

That was the last occasion I saw him. He never even got to the actual pipes. And this was a real musician.

Slainte yall,
    steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'm convinced, I'm getting an instructor...when I can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

self-taught

John Cairns Bagpipe Solutions Vol. 1,2 and 3 (for beginners) with the CD's can help you learn to read music. There are chapters on how to understand music and read it.....then practice it. Not saying this is the route to go, but it is a start. Having an instructor is beneficial, this goes without saying, but sometimes geography, economics, and time can limit instruction. There are many "rogue" pipe players out there that are self-taught and and the untrained ear will never really distinguish the difference in most cases. But if one were to "meet" one, he or she might get an ear full. Who knows.

I know several beginning players that only have 1 hour of instruction a month because that is all they can afford, but it does help a great deal, especially in the long run. Good Luck!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As J.S.Sanders already said, self taught is not a good idea if you want to get into piping seriously. When I was younger I went down the self taught route and could play about ten or a dozen penny whistle tunes on the pipes and one or two proper pipe tunes but with most of the grace notes omitted. There was no sense of timing and it was OK for solo playing to the tourtists from a static pitch. Later I considered taking up the pipes more seriously and went along to a tutor who said that if I ever wanted to play in a marching band I would need to forget all I knew and start again from scratch. I stopped playing for a few years then sold my pipes. Eventually I bought a new practice chanter and may yet start learning to play the pipes properly, but at the moment the local beginner's class in piping clashes with my Scottish Country Dance class.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayin McFye View Post
    I am a self taught musician for the few instruments that I know. I do not know the pipes yet but I also was planning on buying a practice chanter here soon and self teaching myself. I cannot read music, so I'm usually forced to learn by hearing alone and I'm actually really good at it.
    They didn't have sheet music for thousands of years so I figure it's natural to play by ear.
    I saw go for it personally.
    Hey Ayin; for a beer I'll give you some pointers!

Sharp., go for the instructor; best solution. Steve and Jack made some good points. I've got a musical background and lessons are the way I went.
    Some little words of advice if the instructor is not in the immediate future: Go slow. Go slow. Use a metronome. Slow and steady. Get on the piping forums and ask as many questions as you need. Go to the Games and visit the Band tents and ask questions. Listen to recordings of good pipers. Record yourself and listen. When your listening- listen for the notes, then listen what happens in between; is it 'clean' or is there some sonic 'trash' (aka crossing noises) Can't reach one in person... lessons over a webcam?

Good luck, it's a fun little bugger.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast