X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 57 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have flipped through the 56 pages of the Saltire's travels and yet to find any trip south of the Equator. Surely she would like to experience life upside down before any retirement. Let the Saltire Fly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    If she does fly up the Pacific Coast sometime again, I wouldn't mind a brief layover in Bellingham / Whatcom County
    ...Bellingham is just down the road from Vancouver--no trouble making a connection there.

It would be fun to moor the Saltire in the Downtown Historic Railway carbarn for a photo--but that will have to wait 'till the middle of May {opening day will probably be 14 May 2011}
    EPITAPH: Decades from now, no one will know what my bank balance looked like, it won't matter to anyone what kind of car I drove, nor will anyone care what sort of house I lived in. But the world will be a different place, because I did something so mind bafflingly eccentric that my ruins have become a tourist attraction.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, if its at all possible it would be great if the "Saltire" could be allowed to patrol our skies and continue on its mission of goodwill. How about it Jamie?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the lovely Saltire! She must most definitively continue on her voyage of kilted friendship and companionship! There are still so many places left for her to discover, and I can only speak for myself but I truly feel that the Saltire through her travels shares with me the warm welcomes given to her by the many XMTS members whom she visits and as such brings the whole forum closer together.

Let her fly, good Sir, let her fly!

Retired Forum Moderator Chairman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Downunder Kilt. We have members in NZ, Australia, South Africa and South America. A flight in the southern hemisphere seems to be called for.

Brian

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got quite emotional when Alex arrived with the airship for Burns Supper II this year. To feel part of an unbroken chain of XMarkers, all sharing in a common fellowship was very humbling.

After suitable refurbishment and refuelling at the NorCal Burns' Night Supper, I believe that she should start a new expedition -

To boldly go, where no airship has gone before!

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Perhaps a discussion should take place if she should continue on, or that maybe some new symbol in keeping with the new XMTS take her place.
    I enjoyed seeing our airship's travels here, and was so proud to have hosted her in Texas, but I'll agree with Jamie on this.
    Perhaps it was fitting that the wee Saltire is a dirigible, an anachronistic symbol of things past. As he observes, things are different now, perhaps it's time for a new symbol.

:blimp:
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    I enjoyed seeing our airship's travels here, and was so proud to have hosted her in Texas, but I'll agree with Jamie on this.
    Perhaps it was fitting that the wee Saltire is a dirigible, an anachronistic symbol of things past. As he observes, things are different now, perhaps it's time for a new symbol.

:blimp:
    You raise a fair point there Mr Z, but you know I think sometimes it is best to keep things as they are. The "Saltire" epitomises everything that is good about this website and in my humble opinion if it is at all possible, it should be allowed to become even more a part of this international web site's future, as well as its past------in fact, just like the kilt in many ways.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    You raise a fair point there Mr Z, but you know I think sometimes it is best to keep things as they are. The "Saltire" epitomises everything that is good about this website and in my humble opinion if it is at all possible, it should be allowed to become even more a part of this international web site's future, as well as its past------in fact, just like the kilt in many ways.
    Hear! Hear!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it's good to want something more, but frankly, I think the ship has fulfilled it's goal of bringing friends together.
    It's time for the next generation to take over, a challenge if you will, to come up with something as good if not better.
    I recommend that this Saltire retire, I speak from one who has been here since this board has been formed, I cannot think of a better place than with the Kollection. Hamish has amassed a rather unique collection of kilts from many makers and that collection will be documented and preserved for the future scholars to study. That's where this Saltire should rest.
    Maybe it's time for an XMarks Flag to make the rounds, or until such time we can find something else unique to keep this community strong and supportive.
    Another idea is a quilt, made of tartan left over from one of your kilts. Each person gets to add a square as it tours the world.
    Panache has started something, but there are many on this forum who are just as creative to keep the energy going.
    I may be a little jaded but it's time for something new.
    Retire it whilst it still has good memories.
    Cheers
    Robert
    The leather and hemp Kilt Guy in Stratford, Ontario

Page 57 of 59 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 LastLast