X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast
    Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Flight of the Saltire

I often think when participating here on X Marks the Scot how I wish I could visit so many of the members here. I should like to stand next Ron in the Canyon Lands to stare at windswept vistas or walk with Derek in the green Welsh countryside. I would like to go bowling with the Sonoran Scotsmen, laugh with (and groan at) Retro Red, go drinking with the SOKS, and attend a Pub crawl with Roberston and the Ferintosh crew. I wish I could stop by Rocky and Kelly’s shop and see the theater down the street where “The Blob” was filmed, knock on Steve’s door and share a cup of coffee with him, and get a tour of the Scottish Tartans Museum from Matt Newsome himself.

All these great people who I know from XMTS and there are still so many many more I‘d like to visit.

I’m not much of a traveler, and I think one of the reasons I have written stories featuring X Markers is that it is a way to fulfill these fantasies (as well as hopefully make you all smile a little). My favorite element in my little tales is the wondrous and mighty zeppelin the Saltire.

The other day I was thinking that I wished I did have such an airship to go round the world to meet you all.

Then I had an idea!

In a week and a half Big Mikey and his wife Shelley are coming to visit, when they return to Canada they will be taking something back with them.

THE SALTIRE!

And this small log book

I’m sending the X Marks the Scot Air Ship Saltire on a voyage. I hope she will travel far and meet up with many X Markers during her journey.

For those interested in participating in this journey here is how it will work.

The Saltire is to be handed off or mailed from X Marker to X Marker. Each member who gets her signs the logbook with their name/moniker the date and their location. Her position and hopefully pictures with her current host should be posted on this thread.

The flight plan is for her to travel across Canada, head over to England to a certain kilted gentleman in West Sussex and then on towards far away Ferintosh. After Dumfries perhaps she will cross over to the continent and then back across the Atlantic to the East Coast and then make her way back to me in the Bay Area by Friday January 16th 2009 to be displayed proudly at the Nor Cal Rabble’s Burns’ Night Supper the following night. But who knows where or how she will travel.

The Saltire will be leaving with Big Mikey either at our Kilt Night or gathering at the Pleasanton Highland Games, and will take it to our very own Wizard of BC, Steve Ashton at Freedom Kilts. Those living nearby Steve in British Columbia, Canada interested in receiving it from Steve should PM him with details so he can get it to them, and then they will be responsible to passing it on to the next X Marker, so on and so forth.

On the back of the zeppelin is this little plaque

This is a silly quest , a flight of fancy if you will, but I hope some of you will join in this game. Volunteers are needed to welcome this little zeppelin, keep her safe, and help speed the Saltire on her way!

If there is interest in this thread I ask for a sticky from my fellow Mods for the duration of the Flight of the Saltire

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 21st August 08 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Clarification
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

An t-Ileach is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Preas a'Chiobair/Shepherd's Bush, Lunnainn/London RA/UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a great idea. Count me in (I'll send the PM now).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been stuck, I await the proud wee ships docking in Toronto with bated breath.
    Last edited by McMurdo; 16th August 08 at 02:41 PM.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by An t-Ileach View Post
    I think it's a great idea. Count me in (I'll send the PM now).
    I appreciate your enthusiasm! You probably want to wait until the Saltire is nearing your part of the World. Each person who gets her is responsible only to get the little zeppelin to the next X Marker. I imagine that one of the SOKS, cloves, or Sheep in Wolf's Clothing will be the one to send her overseas in the course of time (that is why people need to report her current position).

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

acstoon is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be careful whilst landing at Lakehurst, NJ!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a wonderful idea Jamie - I wish the good ship Saltire a safe and adventurous journey! I can only hope she'll spend some time on the mooring mast here in Idaho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's always good airship weather here in SUN Diego and we would be honored to be part of this journey. What a fun idea, thank you!
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great idea Jaime. Should the old girl come my way, i'd love to take her up for a spin.

She will come with a fully stocked liquor cabinet, right?
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent idea, you'll have to post scans of every page when it is done.

Chris...
    Youth & Enthusiasm are no match for Age & Treachery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get it to me by the 16th of sept, I'm taking my kilt to Germany for a week. Wedding, Scottish festival and then, Oktoberfest.

Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast