X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the Forum regarding the XMTSAS Saltire

To the Ladies and Gentlemen of X Marks the Scot.com

I’m sending the X Marks the Scot Air Ship Saltire on a voyage. I hope she will travel far and meet up with many X Markers during her journey.”

So I wrote in September of 2008. At that time I was a proud member both XMTS and of the “Mod Squad” of our forum, a special place on the internet that was both my online home and clan. I had written the original story that introduced the Saltire zeppelin and with my own hands crafted this simple wooden toy to represent the high ideals of good fellowship that traveled amongst all our members worldwide. I am very pleased that for better two years she did just that.

But, as been noted by myself and others, things do change, owners, policies, staff, and membership amongst them. XMTS is a different place than it was when I first set the “wee airship” off. This is still a great place and I am saddened that I can’t be a very active participant here anymore. I do look in and smile to see the new members being helped by those I remember giving advice to when they first started out here as a new kilt wearers.

The little XMTSAS Saltire is from the time of Hank and the Mod Squad, of when our forum was still developing and filling in a unique niche here on the Internet. In truth does anyone remember the story that inspired this little wooden toy anymore? Or the members featured in it? In honesty I don’t think so, not anymore. Because of this I don’t think it really represents what the forum is, the owner, or the membership. It is time to move on.

There are so many different and wonderful craftspeople and creative members here today on XMTS that it seems fitting that you all come up with something that defines your time here, this time right now. It should be something new and wonderful, not a reminder of things past.

I know there were places she never traveled and there is a desire amongst some of you to have them visited. However I think that makes for a wonderful challenge for whatever symbol you all come up with next.

So having given the matter a great deal of thought, and waiting for a time when I could choose without hurt or anger, I have decided that the little zeppelin has done her job very well and should be allowed to retire with honor. She will make one last appearance at our Nor Cal Burns Night Supper and thereafter be retired. I have offered her to Hamish and would be truly honored if she could find a permanent home in Bicknell Grange. If not she will be hung on the wall in our humble home and well cared for.

I hope you understand my reasons and I wish it clearly understood that while the Flight of the Saltire is over, the journey of XMTS is ongoing.

Sincerely

Jamie

In the morning haze of my younger days
    I’d see her floating there
    How real she seemed this vessel I dreamed
    The airship I named the Saltire

Beautiful and bright clad in blue and white
    Floating in the air
    Representing an ideal, a wish made real
    My airship called the Saltire

High she soared with all my friends aboard
    There was plenty of room to share
    Up in the clear with nothing to fear
    In our airship called the Saltire

With helm steering true to the course I knew
    Sat I in the Captain’s chair
    O’er many a stormy cloud sailed my zeppelin proud
    The wondrous airship Saltire

We traveled far following our guiding star
    With winds that were always fair
    Hands clasped with the friendships we grasped
    Aboard the airship Saltire

Her task complete in helping friends meet
    She pauses for a moment midair
    Then the zeppelin alights away, making way
    Farewell good airship Saltire

:blimp:
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Fair-thee-well wee airship, blessed journey.

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had hoped that the famous saltire would visit my neck of the woods someday, atlas it is not to be.

I hope that she finds a nice happy home either with you Jamie or in Bicknel grange when Hamish is feeling better.

Jordan
    Last edited by Jordan; 21st January 11 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae,
    But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie, the biggest loss to this forum is that YOU – as well as your wife – is no longer active, even if I have a good understanding for your reasons not to.

You are missed here.

Greg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fitting tribute Jamie.
    All good things must come to an end.
    The Saltire has been a magnificent bond of friendship over the past two years. I was fortunate to see the Saltire and sign her log book during the first year of her voyage and to host her for a short time during her second year's travels.
    The Saltire has travelled far and united many people, she has truly earned her retirement, pride of place either with Hamish or with you and Star.
    I do sincerely hope that you will continue to look in on xmarks and to contribute your wealth of knowledge on kilting and Scottish Country Dancing to this forum.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too was fortunate enough for my family and i to cross paths with the great ship in Toronto in 2009 at a SOKS kilt night we were guests at. Photos are somewhere but the moment never lost in my mind.

Bon voyage, Saltire, homeward bound.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GG View Post
    Jamie, the biggest loss to this forum is that YOU – as well as your wife – is no longer active...
    You are missed here.

Greg
    Truer words have rarely been spoken.

Although I either missed or wasn't privy to the events that led to your decision, I respect it.
    Hopefully Hamish has a hangar ready for the little blue blimp.

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things do change and people as well. There are many who don't participate as often as before. While I pop in to check the forum often, I really don't post as much as I once did.

I, for one, do remember the original tale of the Saltire and her intrepid crew, as well at the villains they faced. It inspired me to tales of my own.

Fear not Captain Panache; should you ever need assistance, Mr. Dove and the Retrieval Team will be there.

(Hmmm, I need a saluting smiley here.)
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GG View Post
    Jamie, the biggest loss to this forum is that YOU – as well as your wife – is no longer active, even if I have a good understanding for your reasons not to.

You are missed here.

Greg
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Mene, mene, tekel, u parsin.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the airship Saltire! int:

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast