X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr. W

its not that i have a chip on my shoulder, but some pipers think that if you dont have a teacher from the get go ...you can't play pipes at all.

also from this thread you'll see that I apologized for what I said and the reason I inturpreted(sp ) it the way I did.

there are quite a few on another forum that will automaticly dismiss someone who is selftaught as "bad for piping" and wont help them try to improve at all.

granted ( and I said this earlier) there ARE quite a few who have no business with a pipe on their shoulder and ( as stated ) I have heard them too.

my MAIN problem with some of the things that were said was it seemed noone was giving their opinion on said pipes...they just said " get an instructor ...let HIM tell you what to get"

stuff like that will just get the person asking the question into more trouble (buying junk) then it would to just answer the question.

to me the term "non-players" in thte context it was written meant self taught
    I saw I made a mistake and took care of it.

btw I agree 100% with what you said here
    Here goes: When learning to play any instrument, a good quality instrument is easier to learn on than a bargain basement junker made in or near Asia by anonymous workers who get paid pennies. While it may not be obvious to the untrained eye, minor differences in construction make a major difference in playability. Self taught or not, bagpipes are a lot of work to learn and a good set will mean a better chance of success.
    have fun, stay safe
    KFP
    Irish diplomacy: is telling a man to go to he)) in such a way that he looks forward to the trip!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thread has been highjacked!! I've never had that happen.

Just kidding, guys- truth is, I'm learning a lot from the arguing! And KFP, I love that video.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best band Pipes I've heard:
    D. Naill, Kintail or Gibson - in that order

Best band or Open:
    David Naill

Mine:
    Lawries - Very nice tone indeed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't play, though once I've moved I'll be looking to find an instructor somewhere relatively close.

One thing I've heard more than once from pipers is that you should be on the chanter long enough to have saved for a good set of pipes without breaking your bank. Seems logical- that way when you DO start on the GHB, you'll have a solid musical base to build off of and a solid instrument to work with.

What's the saying? Seven years and seven generations to make a piper? :-P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cassidy- There are two schools of thought on the long time with practice chanter, too! Ringo Bowen is of the opinion that adults should start on the pipes as soon as possible. My teacher once got a high school pipe band going in a few weeks by starting the pipes and the practice chanter at once. The PC was for learning the tunes, but she had a deadline for when they had to be out marching and playing, so she made sure they were learning the technique of the pipes from the start.

My opinion is that a good teacher could get a student going on pipes earlier than most teachers actually do. It is true that there's a lot to learn with the practice chanter right at first. A whole lot. But I also suspect that the long wait for the "real" instrument is part of why so many prospective pipers drop lessons within the first few months.

And to bring it back (sort of) to the original topic, here's a thought about quality standards. When you put on a kilt for an event, you take into consideration what the venue will be, right? So, a Burns Supper with the local St. Andrew's crowd at a posh location where most of the other folks will be in hand-tailored wool tanks won't see you in a Sport Kilt and Jacobite shirt if you want to be accepted as part of the community. In the same way, the quality of your pipes makes a huge difference when you show up where other pipers will see you. The most important thing is that you can make music on them, not noise, but having pipes with really wonky tuning, poor tone, ugly wood, and a pitch standard that is dramatically different from the norm will mean you just don't fit in. Folks might like you and get along with you and even enjoy your company, but there's something not quite right about it all. Just as a wool tank sets the standard for clothes, good ABW pipes set the standard for music. Though not being able to play them properly is sort of like wearing a tailored kilt with the pleats in front. Doesn't matter how good your pipes are if you don't know what to do with them.

-Patrick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    http://www.sulshi.com/

They look decent, and have a good reputation. I was tossing around the idea of getting a set of pipes from them. Are they worth the $400?
    Sure they look nice, but if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.
    Those are Pakistani pipes and are to be avoided like the plague.
    Any pipes that aren't more than $600 (sadly) should not be trusted to be a reliable instrument.

On another note:
    "*****SULSHIE INTERNATIONAL*****"
    hahahahahahaha

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123