X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: small glitch?

Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

small glitch?

Not really a big deal, more along the line of an observation. I happened to notice that the post counter read 7 twice. I wasn't sure if it was by design, or if it was one of those pesky glitches that drive programmers nuts, I waited to see if it corrected itself. As of this post, it hasn't.

Again, it hasn't affected my posting, this is just an observation.

Thanks for the great forum.

Regards,
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,
    Give him power.[/B][/I] - [I]Abraham Lincoln[/I]

Retired Forum Adminstrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What post counter are you referring to?

Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are three places where the number of posts listed is incorrect. First in the header area of the post. Second, in the profile section, the mini statistics post number is off. Also in the statistic area of the profile the total posts number is off. The section that has all of the posts for perusal is the only place where the correct number is posted.

As I stated earlier, I am not having any trouble posting or accessing any part of the forum. It just seemed odd that the sections didn't agree with each other.
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, the first thing you need to understand is that I can be a little thick at times. And this ~might~ be one of those times. Or maybe we're just using different terms to specify different areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander31 View Post
    There are three places where the number of posts listed is incorrect. First in the header area of the post.
    When you say 'header area of the post', are you referring to the post count that shows in the postbit field? Look at the left attached image. In that image, your account shows a total of 26 posts in the postbit. Is that the area you refer to when you say 'header area of the post'?

Second, in the profile section, the mini statistics post number is off.
    I believe I'm on the same pew with you on this one. Look at the center attachment. That comes from your user profile page. It also shows a total of 26 posts.

If I have identified the two areas you were referring to, you will see those numbers actually are in agreement with one another.

There may be occasions when those numbers will not agree, but within an hour's time, they will. In an effort to keep the forum running as fast as possible, I try to trim back as many of the ongoing processes as I can. Some counters on the database can be set to update immediately or to update once an hour. For numbers that are less than critical, I use hourly updates. It frees up the database to handle other queries, which will equate to much quicker page response times for you.

Also in the statistic area of the profile the total posts number is off. The section that has all of the posts for perusal is the only place where the correct number is posted.
    And here again, if you look at the right attachment, you will see everything is where it should be. It shows you have 26 posts, as well.

It's just a matter of timing, between these numbers. The cron jobs to run the database updates are not set to fire at the same time, so you're likely to never see the same numbers at the same time. Unless you've waited at least 60 minutes with no posting activity, as each cron will fire once an hour.

I~think~ this explains the situation to you. If I'm still managing to miss the plot, let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am unable to open the jpegs. When I click on them I get a page that says I am denied access to the page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander31 View Post
    I am unable to open the jpegs. When I click on them I get a page that says I am denied access to the page.
    Give it another go.

Do the explanations make sense to you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I was able to open those. All three of those agree, however, they are off by one number (short.) If you open the section that says "Find all posts by......" you will see the total number of posts is one more than the other three areas. It is also the correct number.

I realize this is a small item and time consuming. I appreciate your persistence in this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two forums on this site that will not increment your public post count - Kilt Board Newbie and Off Topic.

Searching your total posts, I found THIS POST in the Off Topic forum. The database shows that as one of your total posts, but the rest of the post counters are set to ignore that forum. That is why you are seeing the difference. If a new member comes on the forum and posts only in Kilt Board Newbie and Off Topic, their public post count will always remain at zero.

You will find there are two areas on this site that also count total forum-wide posts, one on the portal page and one on the forum index page. Those counts will also show two different numbers, because one of them is displaying total posts, whilst the other is displaying the posts you have permission to view. Since there are a couple of staff forums that you do not have permission to view, the two counts are always going to look different to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the explanation, and your time involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought about this after I hit the button on the last message (then I discovered I couldn't edit from this screen.) Maybe this would be a topic to put in the faq section. That was the first place I went to find an answer. It would save you time and trouble in the future.

Thanks again for your help.