X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thistlelass View Post
    You've got a positive thought forming and that's half the battle! I sometimes have a hard time choosing what sort of project to work on,I get torn between the knitting and the spinning, but when I saw the kilt hose and knew Tommy would be getting his kilt soon, I knew I had to make them. Then I began looking around for patterns because making that first pair was so much fun! The housework and the other chores will always be there, but that special person you want to do something nice for may not always be. Don't mean to sound grim or morbid, but that's how I try to balance what is and isn't all that important in my life. Although, I probably should put the needles down a bit more often and do some scrubbing and polishing in the house! It only took me a few weeks to make these hose and in the whole scheme of life, that's not much time to spend on doing something for him. If you ever do want to give it a try and need help, you can ask me. I'd be happy to talk you through it!
    You know, you're right. Since he seems to be really making more of an effort to prepare for training and getting into fitness more in general again (don't you just hate when things throw you off your schedules and goals?), it would be nice for me to at least attempt it. Even if I can't seem to get it at all, I'm sure he would appreciate the effort and it might help keep him inspired.

We'll have to see what I can do. I haven't had a chance to look over some of the patterns I've found online or which way I want to attempt it. I definitely love the look of the design you used (I believe I have seen that pattern), but I don't have any double-pointed needles (I used some to make hair forks for myself heheheheh), so I'll have to buy some as well as some yarn. I'd rather use the cable needles, but I'm unsure of how to use those instead. I have used cable needles for scarf projects or really wide, simple pieces, but since this is an entirely new thing for me I wonder if I should just stick to DPNs (even though the thought of all those ends makes me nervous heheheh!). I definitely need to keep the bulk of the pattern simple (but oh, do I love lovely designs on the cuffs) since I'd have to resize it for his feet and calves, but it would be nice to have some lovely decoration knitted throughout it a bit, too.

Thanks for offering to chat with me if I need help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cynthia, the really good thing about the Toirneach Kilt Hose (you can see the pattern in the 2007 Winter Issue of Knitty-www.knitty.com.) is that they are made to measure. You adjust the size to the measurement of the wearer and the only complicated (but it isn't) part is the cuff. A few minutes of careful measuring will give you some very nice kilt hose that don't bag or sag! Another plus is that they are knit on size 7 needles with a fairly substantial yarn that isn't tiny like most sock yarn...and you won't lose your stitches on DPN's that large. Of course, if you're able to master it, they can be knit on circular needles. Sadly, I have yet to learn this technique, but it's on my list of "must learn" before the end of 2009!! Another thing you could do is knit a fancy cuff on a pair of store boughts, but to me that just takes away from the fun of knitting the whole project.
    You could also check out your LYS or Knitting Guild for help if you do get stuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely! So nice to see another knitter on the forum!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdcorlis View Post
    Lovely! So nice to see another knitter on the forum!

Thanks! Nice to be here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love that pattern, it is the next kilt hose pattern I intend to knit, sometime after 2.25 scarves, a bolero jacket for my fiancee, and a lace shawl. So many things to knit, and never enough time to knit them. Welcome from another knitter!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are beautiful! You do very nice work!
    The pipes are calling, resistance is futile. - MacTalla Mor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hose are beautiful... Great color, keep us in mind when you are ready to branch out.

Doyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    I love that pattern, it is the next kilt hose pattern I intend to knit, sometime after 2.25 scarves, a bolero jacket for my fiancee, and a lace shawl. So many things to knit, and never enough time to knit them. Welcome from another knitter!
    Thank you! You'll love knitting this pattern, it's really very easy to do and the lace pattern is actually one I was able to memorize, so no reading the pattern over and over again! I hate when I can't memorize the pattern! Are you a member of Ravelry? Just wondering because I moderate the Kilt Hose and Flashes forum there for knitters of same. As far as I know, we only have one fellow in the group, so if you ever decide to join a group just for knitting, we're there!! You have a good many projects going, I'd love to see them..and I have to agree; so many things to knit and never enough time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler Doyle View Post
    The hose are beautiful... Great color, keep us in mind when you are ready to branch out.

Doyle
    Thank you Doyle. I'll post my availablity for knitting hose just as soon as I feel confident enough to do that! If I can master knitting socks on two cable needles, then I will be pretty close to taking on more kilt hose projects!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast