X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to get a solid sporran strap and sporran?

Hello, I have been into the kilt wearing business for a couple of months now and I'm looking for a rather solid sporran and sporran strap. I currently have the stillwater 3-tassel black leather sporran and the sporran strap that came with it, it's satisfying for everyday use, even tough I don't really trust the sporran strap.
    So do any of you have any ideas where to get a solid sporran strap (preferably without a chain) and a solid sporran (perhaps with a little more space than the SWK one).
    I specifically want this to be able to wear my kilt at concerts without fear of losing it.

I know that moshing and slamming kilted is not to smart, but I want to be able to go up front a little without to much risk.

PS: another question to other kilted concert goers, how much trouble do you get with pleats getting stuck while atempting to go up front?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thorfin is currently making me a sporran with matching solid strap that should have plenty of room in it.
    That said, my regular day sporran has been worn to many, many concerts on a chain belt with absolutely no problems.

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oconee Leather Works at www.oconeeleatherworks.com makes some really great stuff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a very nice strap made for me at the Scottish Tartans museum. (They made it while I waited) I would check them out.

Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can recommend Craigie Originals. I have been using their sporrans for five years and have had no problems with any of them. Sue Craigie is open to working with you to fit your needs.
    http://www.sporrans.com/
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,
    Give him power.[/B][/I] - [I]Abraham Lincoln[/I]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend a Buzz Kidder sporran. They're roomy, they're pretty affordable, and they look good.

For a sporran strap, I've been using a black simulated leather belt from the ladies accessories section at Target. It's cheap, but it gets the job done.

As a frequent kilted concert goer, I'd suggest that you get a cheap acrylic or polyviscose kilt for wearing to shows. I certainly wouldn't want to risk one of my expensive kilts in a mosh pit. The worst thing that's happened to one of my kilts at a show is having an entire beer poured down my back and pleats. But, since I was wearing a cheap acrylic kilt, no biggie! I threw it in the washer when I got home, pressed it when it was dry, and it's good as new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the ridiculously inexpensive end of the scale, check out this "plain brown wrapper" leather sporran and belt for $25 plus shipping from What Price Glory:

thread
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For belts and straps I recommend Oconee Leather Works, notwithstanding that, due to time constraints, I made a strap for Graham S above. You can't find better than Cavscout's work.
    Convener, Georgia Chapter, House of Gordon (Boss H.O.G.)

Where 4 Scotsmen gather there'll usually be a fifth.
    7/5 of the world's population have a difficult time with fractions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I"ll second the vote for a Buzz Kidder sporran. I have two and have been very happy with them. As for sporran straps, you can always buy the leather and make one yourself, it isn't hard and the skills you gain can be used for the rest of your life.