X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ramping up for Seaside Games

OK, I've got a month. I started the "accelerated program" last week...

Throw twice a week: either Tuesday or Sunday, and Thursday eves.
    weight room three times a week: Monday, Wednesday, Friday

I've just tried the belt squats that Ryan suggested. It turns out the Uni gym has a belt you can check out, so I'll be doing them a lot, now. I'm doing pylos, like I always have, but no more "jumping with weight" and no more reverse sit-ups.....lots of regular sit-ups and leg lifts and a LOT of upper body work. I gotta take it easy on the lower back. I notice that getting a full 8 hours of bed-time every night *REALLY* help my back recover, so no late nights at work unless it's a total emergency.

One throwing workout is going to be spent on light weights and WFD form, mostly on drills and really slowing down the first turn for total control.

I'm going to focus on stones as well, 'cause as Yaish pointed out, if you work on your worst events, you're likely to improve your overall scores more than if you make your best events even better. I can't focus on everything, so I'm going to let hammers fall where they may and only spend 15-20 minutes on them once a week. Ditto for the HWFD. Stones, LWFD, and WOB is my focus.

I WILL break 30 feet in the Open Stone at Ventura. I did it in practice last week...it WILL happen. I OWN THAT ROCK. It has my bleedin' NAME on it!

I WILL break 40 feet in the LWFD at Ventura. I CAN and I WILL. IT IS MINE.

and I WILL clear 13 again in the WOB, and if I can con the competitors into doing it, will clear 13' 6".

A month to go!
    Last edited by Alan H; 9th September 08 at 05:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only I were 40 years younger, even 30 years would do it! I envy you. Me, today after attempting ANY event------> Good luck!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re

I'm also really wanting to break 30 on the open stone. Stones are pretty frustrating, can see no improvement for a long time and I tend to throw it right in the same divot in the dirt over and over.

I need to include some of the plyometrics stuff. I have worked hard on getting strong for many years, but haven't really done specific work to get quicker and faster.

Stones are such a weakness for me I think I will be devoting one whole training day to just stones and throw everything else into the other day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Nielson View Post
    I'm also really wanting to break 30 on the open stone. Stones are pretty frustrating, can see no improvement for a long time and I tend to throw it right in the same divot in the dirt over and over.

I need to include some of the plyometrics stuff. I have worked hard on getting strong for many years, but haven't really done specific work to get quicker and faster.

Stones are such a weakness for me I think I will be devoting one whole training day to just stones and throw everything else into the other day.
    What approach are you using? Spin, glide or modified (the sidestep glide)? Personally I use the glide. Part of the key to that is to get a quick pop back, planting the feet simutaneously as quick as possible then exploding. Be sure to land in the power position to get the rapid transition of the pop to the stone. Be cautious to not drop the elbow on the throwing arm. If you do, the stone will spend the energy going up instead of out. Remember to follow through with the flick of the wrist, like a basketball. It will add a couple of feet. Hope this helps.

James
    James Gorley
    Highland Thrower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re

I was using the shuffle not very well, then tried the glide and it worked for me a little bit better. Then in the middle of a competition after throwing the glide 2 times I decided to go back to shuffle my 3rd and threw it 4 feet more that way so I'm back into the shuffle again so I'm just switching back and forth. I have tried the spin many times and cannot even throw it 20 feet that way. The spin was just impossible for me. My friend is pretty good at stones uses the shuffle very well throwing over 36 feet so i try to copy what he's doing and i throw it about 28 feet at the most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go Allen, good luck and throw hard. I have been so busy lately that I rarely can even make two work outs a week and I know its going to hurt me come Nov. in Tucson. Oh well got to feed the bull dog. Let us know how it went, will be rooting for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ryan,

I can't really do the spin either. My brain doesn't want to keep the weight spin and the stone spin seperate. That is why I glide on the stone. The shuffle will work to a degree, but you will eventually plateau. It does't transfer all of your motion into the stone. It becomes more of an upper body throw than a full body explosion. The gold medal olympian in the shot put used the glide this year. Maybe check out some video on shot put glides. Then compare your videos of you to them. This will help you pick the areas to work on. Keep up the great work though! Most of all, just have fun!

James

Arizona,

I was trying to make it to the Tucson games, but it isn't in the cards this year. I will try my best to make it next year. It will be nice to visit the old stomping grounds!
    James Gorley
    Highland Thrower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I'm probably going to do a standing throw. KISS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    Honestly, I'm probably going to do a standing throw. KISS.
    Damn that never really occured to me, but I think I should look into that. I'm throwing a 24 braemar (23lb. stone) and 28 open stone (18lb.) then why not just throw it standing and probably get at least that much or probably more. From those numbers you can see I'm not getting anything with the run up to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same for the first few games. I get a solid # on the board standing then try the slide to get a little more.
    James Gorley
    Highland Thrower

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast