X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Science Fiction fans among the kilted?

Do we have any science fiction fans among us? One of my favorite authors is S.M. Stirling. He has written (and is still writing) a series usually called the Emberverse, or the Dies the Fire universe. In this series, SOMEONE (Arbitrarily Advanced Alien Space Bats, The Powers That Be, Big Juju, we don't know who) has taken away technology. A Celtic singer in Oregon, Juniper Mackensie, loosely based on Heather Alexander, forms a group for mutual aid and survival, which comes to be known as Clan Mackensie. They have a tartan, which is described in the books. This link http://hem.bredband.net/b108107/stir...zietartan.html shows what is looks like. For those of us into both kilts and Sci Fi, I think it would be a hoot to a) Have a run of this tartan made up; b) Register the tartan, probably under the name Emberverse tartan. I have permission from Mr. Stirling to do so. I do not have the resources to fund this undertaking completely on my own. Would any of the rabble be interested in joining in for a unique tartan from another reality?

Geoff Withnell
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not read Stirling, but I notice that many Xmarkers have Heinlein quotes in their signatures. Something about Lazarus Long being a kiltie I guess. I am currently reading John Ringo, heavy space combat, although the battles are now on earth; I'll have to add Stirling to my list. Uh oh, another list?!?

Bob
    If you can't be good, be entertaining!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way cool Geoff! Did you know that Nathan Fillion (Firefly Captain) wore a leather kilt to some big Hollywood event a while back.
    Airman. Piper. Scholar. - Avatar: MacGregor Tartan
    “KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.” - Ambrose Gwinett Bierce
    www.melbournepipesanddrums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Airman. Piper. Scholar. - Avatar: MacGregor Tartan
    “KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.” - Ambrose Gwinett Bierce
    www.melbournepipesanddrums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not read much stirling but have read a lot of sci fi and fantasy goes with being a D&D gamer I guess. Right know I'm rereading my Lee & Miller Laid books. Then I'll have to go through the book shelfsm to find somthing else maybe the Cobras again.

Or go book shopping oh no i don't have the money for that right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    Do we have any science fiction fans among us? One of my favorite authors is S.M. Stirling. He has written (and is still writing) a series usually called the Emberverse, or the Dies the Fire universe. In this series, SOMEONE (Arbitrarily Advanced Alien Space Bats, The Powers That Be, Big Juju, we don't know who) has taken away technology. A Celtic singer in Oregon, Juniper Mackensie, loosely based on Heather Alexander, forms a group for mutual aid and survival, which comes to be known as Clan Mackensie. They have a tartan, which is described in the books. This link http://hem.bredband.net/b108107/stir...zietartan.html shows what is looks like. For those of us into both kilts and Sci Fi, I think it would be a hoot to a) Have a run of this tartan made up; b) Register the tartan, probably under the name Emberverse tartan. I have permission from Mr. Stirling to do so. I do not have the resources to fund this undertaking completely on my own. Would any of the rabble be interested in joining in for a unique tartan from another reality?

Geoff Withnell
    I read the whole series...I live right here in Oregon, used to live over in the Valley and know much of the geography and many of the cities Stirling writes about. Makes things all that much more vivid.

I can't afford another tartan, but I think it would be a hoot to have one made. Maybe S.M. Sterling would have some ideas/input on colours, etc..

And it's a pretty good read too even if you have to suspend belief with regard to the chances that the Celtic culture/spiritual beliefs would come back like a long suppressed weed just on the impetus of a folk singer.
    DWFII--Traditionalist and Auld Crabbit
    In the Highlands of Central Oregon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished the series myself. Sort of a guilty pleasure there. I can't help but wonder if the whole premis didn't start as "What sort of circumstances would have to unfold to have the S.C.A. run the world?"

James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool idea! One that should be looked into.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilted skiffy here, though I've not read any Stirling. That series sounds interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read them.
    Not bad books. I prefer the Island in the sea of time trilogy though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast