X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand advice

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander_Daz View Post
    to be honest I like to get people on a set of GHBs fairly rapid, blowing steady low A and one drone for a few minutes , normally after 3-6 months chanter practice, the i encourage them to hit the scale on the GHB changing from Blow to Squeeze whilst changing note, it suprising how it re-motivates students after 3-6 months drilling scale and doublings when the blow one note on a set of pipes it can really give fresh motivation at the 3-6 month stage where many students are hacked off with chater practice
    My instructor actually told me today that he normally won't even bring up getting a set of pipes until his students have been on the chanter for 6 months. I've been going for two, and he told me today that if I keep advancing the way I am, he's going to help me get into a set by Christmas. I am apparently doing well.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Vancouver on the Mighty Columbia. That's in Washington State USA for the geographically challanged.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, Nighthawk. Good on yer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vmac3205 View Post
    Congrats, Nighthawk. Good on yer.
    :beer: ...I mean, thanks! I'm finding I love it! I have 2 chanters now- one at home and one in my car- for those occasions when I take the Mrs to the grocery store, and she lets me stay in the car. I roll up the windows and play along with the CDs of a local guy named Ben Holmes. I mentioned that to my instructor yesterday, and it turns out that he and Holmes are actually really good friends, and he glowingly approves of my taste in pipers to take inspiration from.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Phogfan86 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 11-year-old and I have been playing chanters for 10 months. He's been on pipes since about six months, and now he's learning how to march with the band. He still needs to learn a number of their tunes, but he knows a few. The important thing is, he's learning how to march.

I just started on the pipes -- it takes us old coots longer to learn new stuff, y'know.

I think expecting anyone to play chanter and wait for a couple of years before they pick up the pipes is a bit unreasonable.
    Why, a child of five could understand this. Quick -- someone fetch me a child of five!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie perspective

New here to the forum, great information, glad I found this website.

If it helps anyone, I started on the Dunbar PC in late August and found an instructor in September (who was grade one over the years, now judges). He's much calmer than I am and has a more soft and steady approach. Now that I have been working at a few tunes and the movements for the last two months I have started asking about GHBs. I think all of us newbies want to imagine the day we get our pipes and are eager to experience the full instrument but it's easy to get ahead of ourselves, especially when we have good instructors who want us to get proficient at fingering in order to play anything we see. He said he has most students on pipes within 8-10 months playing, but told me at my rate (probably because I'm very eager and practice about 20min-1hr a day) I could probably expect to go look at pipes at our shop here by March. We'll see. In the mean time I searched out exactly what I want and have it all priced, now the fun part of putting away $300 a month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    I've been going for almost two months. It's starting to get fun. It was tough and tedious at first (and still is at times) but has become very enjoyable.
    All I can say is hand in there - it took me about 7 months on practice chanter before taking up the pipes. Don't jump on the bandwagon too soon or it will be really frustrating! It has been a ride, for sure! Thankfully I stuck with it and I am piping all over the place, doing funeral, weddings, band gigs, birthday parties and memorials. I am playing for a boy scout troop next month as they retire a flag. The possibilities can be limitless, but you have to get through the "un-fun" stuff first!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very inspiring! I'm on my whole... 3rd lesson! Just did doublings the other day. Fun times... it's amazing when my fingers just decide to do whatever they want..
    "A true adventurer goes forth, aimless and uncalculating, to meet and greet unknown fate." ~ Domino Harvey ~
    ~ We Honor Our Fallen ~

Phogfan86 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Conley View Post
    ... it's amazing when my fingers just decide to do whatever they want..
    It can't be your fingers! Clearly you have a defective chanter, good sir!
    Why, a child of five could understand this. Quick -- someone fetch me a child of five!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered a dunbar chanter for my Christmas present two nights ago(authorized by my better half, but ordered not to open it til Christmas). I sure hope this works out. I know nothing about music.
    It don't mean a thing, if you aint got that swing!!
    'S Rioghal Mo Dhream - a child of the mist

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast