X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Focal dystonia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Focal dystonia

So a few monthes ago, I went to the doctors so figure out why I was having certain pains and problems with my hand. From what he could tell, it's called a focal dystonia.

It's not really a disease as it is a problem with the nerves and such from what I have gathered. Certain actions cause my hand to cramp and contract into almost a fist, it's painful but temporary for about 30 seconds or so. It's only affecting my right hand though and the fingers no longer relax straight but are slightly curled, I have to think about straightening them to do so.

I've had to start writing with my left because my right hand's writing has gotten so sloppy. And it was only today where I felt it has been effecting my playing on pipes, the D gracenotes especially.

Anyone else experienced this?
    Gillmore of Clan Morrison

"Long Live the Long Shirts!"- Ryan Ross

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Focal dystonia

I never went to a doctor about it, but a few years ago I gave up playing Irish flute due to persistent hand cramping.

It seemed to be caused by the peculiar hand positions required for the flute, because it's not a problem with vertical things like bagpipe chanters and Irish whistles.

I am suffering from the subtle beginnings of peripheral neuropathy (sp?) but so far it's not a problem with playing pipes and whistles.

I feel for you! It's such a bummer to have health stand in the way of playing music.

BTW my mother's father, when he got up into his 90s, had his hands retract into claws, and it's starting to happen to my mother as well. Her doctor calls it "the Scotch-Irish claw".
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying out new postures to help the hand, maybe it'll work.

I really hope it doesn't develop into a claw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've occasionally experienced this with both playing the flute and doing woodwork.

I'll probably get ripped by the experts for this, but from my experience, 'claw hand' tends to be associated with chronic arthritis and not focal dystonia.

It may be worth getting one of those jelly balls that people use to strengthen their tendons and muscles after surgery, to re-train the nerves in the hand?
    Martin.
    AKA - The Scouter in a Kilt.
    Proud, but homesick, son of Skye.
    Member of the Clan MacLeod Society (Scotland)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Laird_M View Post
    I've occasionally experienced this with both playing the flute and doing woodwork.

I'll probably get ripped by the experts for this, but from my experience, 'claw hand' tends to be associated with chronic arthritis and not focal dystonia.

It may be worth getting one of those jelly balls that people use to strengthen their tendons and muscles after surgery, to re-train the nerves in the hand?
    It maybe. I do finger exercises to help it as well.