X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem

Well, I haven't been able to play in a few monthes 'cause I had to give them to my instructor so the new bag could be installed, (bag is brand new, that took time too).

I seasoned it Saturday, let it dry and wiped stocks clean.

I go to play yesterday, assembled it and well, the chanter is stuck. It's like seized in the stock.

I've tried using heat and I've tried gently wriggling it. No results.

Any ideas?
    Gillmore of Clan Morrison

"Long Live the Long Shirts!"- Ryan Ross

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Problem

I presume you've tried gently twisting the chanter stock and the chanter in opposite directions? (Kinda like unscrewing the chanter from the stock.)

You could try removing everything else from their stocks and letting it sit for a couple of days. Hang the bag with the chanter high (allowing any moisture/dampened seasoning to flow down to the back of the bag). Maybe the hemp will then dry out enough to safely remove the chanter.

Whatever you do, do it gently, and only handle your chanter at the top by the stock. Never ever remove a chanter from the stock by grabbing it at the bottom, especially if it's a wood (blackwood or otherwise) chanter. (I'm sure your instructor has told you that - I wrote it for the benefit of others reading this thread.)
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming that the chanter is not glued in the stock somehow by the seasoning you might try letting it get cold. I was playing outside at about 37 Fahrenheit and the pressure of the air in the bag just pushed my plastic chanter out! Luckily I was holding it at the time.

highland mafia is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I agree.. If you've tried the wiggle trick and still nothing. As a last ditch effort Id remove the stock and chanter from the bag and pop it in the fridge a wee bit.. bet it would do the trick.. Only bummer is having to tie in the stock again,, But then.. We all can use the practice..LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really hoping its not stuck. I've tried twisting it, it won't even budge.

I'm afraid of letting it in the cold but maybe the wood will expand a bit from it.

I just want to play the darn things.
    Last edited by Nick the DSM; 28th December 11 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be reluctant to expose a wooden stock and chanter to extreme temperatures. If they're poly, no problem. I once used a hair dryer to remove the top from a stubborn poly pc. One trick that worked for me is to wind some strong, small diameter cord into the crack where the chanter and stock meet. That may give you enough leeway to get it started moving. The hemp used for the joints likely won't be strong enough, I happened to have some nylon "artificial sinew" on hand, and used that to help remove a stuck chanter on an old 3/4 set of pipes.
    All skill and effort is to no avail when an angel pees down your drones.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    One trick that worked for me is to wind some strong, small diameter cord into the crack where the chanter and stock meet. That may give you enough leeway to get it started moving. The hemp used for the joints likely won't be strong enough, I happened to have some nylon "artificial sinew" on hand, and used that to help remove a stuck chanter on an old 3/4 set of pipes.
    There's a thought that just might work! BRAVO!

Use a long shoestring (ghillie's?) or a bootlace and press it into the gap between the stock and the top of the chanter. The string will provide even pressure on the joint and doesn't require a twisting motion that could be torqued in more than one direction (which is often how chanters get broken in these cases).
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll try that, if I can get some room in between the stock and chanter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, nada.

I even blew up the bag to put some pressure in there, now I hope my reed isn't going to start getting moldy.

highland mafia is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick question.. Dose the chanter turn in the stock, but not come out?? Have you tried very gently rocking the chanter back in forth in the stock? Have you attempted trying to steam it under a kettle for a bit? I understand you wanting to avoid "extreme" temps but then again your chanter is certainly stuck and needs to come out..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast