X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On Beer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question On Beer

OK, two separate questions. First is for you folks over in Scotland and the UK. It's about temperature of you beer/ale/stout/etc. I know that here in the US, we generally drink our beer chilled. Everyone always talks about beer in the UK being warm, which brought a thought to mind. Is your beer actually warm, or is it just warmer than what we in the US would consider a chilled beer? I guess I'm asking if there is a general temperature at which beers and ales are kept in the UK that is just warmer than what we keep beer at here in the US, or is it just left to go to room temperature? If it's just left to a 'room temperature', how do the different seasons affect the beer? I know I live in the South, and we may have temps in the low teens(Fahrenheit) in the Winter, and up over a hundred degrees in the Summer. That would significantly affect 'room temperature' of our beverages.

Just curious....

Second question is totally unrelated...well, not totally unrelated. Has anyone noticed that they seem to be able to hold a bit more beer when going kilted? Maybe it's just me....

Casey

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting questions Casey. I've wondered the same thing myself. I know when I was in England years ago that it was rare to get ice in your soda (not a beer drinker at the time).
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great question Casey. I too will be interested in how our friends across the pond answer.
    As for myself, if drinking a stout/porter I allow it to warm up a wee bit, as I find that more flavors present themselves than when its chilled.

p.s. I'm enjoying a nice thick Russian Imperial Stout as I type this int:
    :beer:
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UK Beer Temp

I spent two years in the early 70s in the UK while in the Air Force.

Beers there (and then) were generally served at "cellar" temperature, about 55-58 degree F. This was usually attained without refrigeration. Most Americans at the time considered this "warm," though certainly not room temperature.

It's my understanding that things are generally served colder now... I even hear that Budweiser sells well in London.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to add that some UK beers served in the US are made here, not imported. Guiness comes to mind, and it's not the same recipe, but something "designed" to be served colder. Yecch! Gimme UK- or Irish-brewed Guiness any day... preferably from a bottle. It tastes so much better! [Would you settle for "I prefer it"?]

Steve
    Last edited by Steve53; 2nd November 08 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Remove a negative.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve53 View Post
    Forgot to add that some UK beers served in the US are made here, not imported. Guiness comes to mind, and it's not the same recipe, but something "designed" to be served colder. Yecch! Gimme UK- or Irish-brewed Guiness any day... preferably from a bottle. It tastes so much better! [Would you settle for "I prefer it"?]

Steve
    You know, I remember back in the early to mid 80's when I could purchase Guiness actually imported from Ireland.
    I wonder when that changed?
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

JS Sanders is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've spent a great deal of time in Scotland and the beer's just as cold as it is here. You can even purchase draft Guinness at pubs advertised as 'extra cold'.

I've never seen soft drinks served any way but well chilled - even says so on Pepsi bottles. Otherwise, a glass with ice accompanies your soft drink.

This is as recent as last month.

Draft Guinness served in the US is brewed in Ireland, though it can suffer a bit during the physical transport across the Atlantic and subsequent distribution. Guinness served in cans & bottles for American consumption is brewed in Canada.

And Budweiser & Miller are popular in Scotland as well, though cannot understand why.

Slainte,
    steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean Irish brewed Guinness hasn't been available in America for my entire lifetime??!?!
    Edit: I stand corrected.
    Last edited by george7; 2nd November 08 at 08:29 PM. Reason: oops
    Airman. Piper. Scholar. - Avatar: MacGregor Tartan
    “KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.” - Ambrose Gwinett Bierce
    www.melbournepipesanddrums.com

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JS Sanders View Post
    And Budweiser & Miller are popular in Scotland as well, though cannot understand why.

Why?

Why?

Why?

"no, no, no...I've gotten quite bored of this Corvette. I think a Yugo will be a nice change..."

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Import Guiness (to US)

Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    You know, I remember back in the early to mid 80's when I could purchase Guiness actually imported from Ireland.
    I wonder when that changed?
    I think that changed in the mid to late 90s.

Steve

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast