X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Phogfan86 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seasoning m'peeps for the first time

I need to season the bag on the set of Pettigrews I picked up. It's the first time I've ever done it, and I have a question.

I'd swear I heard the pipe sergeant in my band say to rinse it out first with water and a little bit of a mild soap and let it dry before seasoning it. However, every article that I can find online doesn't say anything about that.

XMTS Pipers, what say you?
    Why, a child of five could understand this. Quick -- someone fetch me a child of five!

JS Sanders is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over the years I've heard many suggestions for seasoning pipe bags, but this one's new to me. It's a good idea to occasionally rinse out bags that require re-seasoning in order to remove built-up gunk, but that's with plain water.

I doubt soapy water'll hurt anything, but I'd be inclined not to bother.

Of course your pipe sergeant is gonna ask you if'n you did, but you know him better than I do.

Slainte,
    steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the first thing I'd need to know is what kind of bag it is....? If it's a gore-tex, then there's not a whole lot out there other than very strong cleaners that would probably hurt it. But seasoning isn't needed on them anyway.

If it's a traditional sheepskin, I feel for ya. Yeah, you're gonna be seasoning it a lot. Airtight is some nasty, smelly awful stuff. But it works great. I don't think it's needed to rinse out the bag first anyway.

I'm using a Gannaway bag now, and they recommend their glycerin-based seasoning. I love it, and it dosen't stink!

As a hint, I put old socks secured with rubberbands around the stocks when I'm seasoning the bag to help protect them while I'm rubbing in the seasoning.

Good luck!

T.

Phogfan86 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an L&M Highland Outfitters bag. No zipper. I've already removed the drones and the moisture control system. The drones are corked and I'm ready to add my seasoning (Angus), but I'm a little "iffy" on how much to use.

I have an 8 oz. bottle, and for some reason, "about a quarter of the bottle" sticks in my head. No instructions came with the product. Does that sound right to anyone?
    Why, a child of five could understand this. Quick -- someone fetch me a child of five!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Airtight claims you need about a quarter of the bottle each time you season. Hogwash. I use about two tablespoons and it works fine.

Now, if your bag has been seasoned before, warm up your seasoning (follow directions on the bottle - Airtight now is microwaveable, but it smells different, a bit of a disappointment after I was used to double boilers and smelling the seasoning for two days in the kitchen) and pour in about two tablespoons' worth. Use a measure if you want or eyeball it. Rub it around really well. Pay a lot of attention to the seam and to the area around each stock. You should be able to feel the slippery stuff right through the bag (not oozing through, but slippery inside).

When you have it well rubbed in, inflate the bag and sit on it. The pressure should help drive the goop into the leather pores. It will also convince you just how strong those bags are. I am always amazed that the corks don't shoot right out.

Let the pipes sit for an hour or so. The bag should stay really tight for several minutes before the air starts to leak slowly out. If it goes limp quickly, add more seasoning.

I love leather bags. I'll play something else, but leather is always my preference.

-Patrick

JS Sanders is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember the old days, when honey was considered a good bag seasoning. Actually did a fine job as a humectant, but the mess...!

For quite a while I've been adding finely ground black peppper to the seasoning to insure every open leather pore is plugged & airtight. Can't tell its there either.

Slan,
    steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the feel of leather, but the convenience of a Gortex bag gives me a bit more time for playing and less maintenance. It also gives me the confidence that my pipes will perform after being in the cold or heat.
    Airman. Piper. Scholar. - Avatar: MacGregor Tartan
    “KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.” - Ambrose Gwinett Bierce
    www.melbournepipesanddrums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George,
    Have you tried the Bannatyne hybrid bag? Leather on the outside, gortex on the inside. I use one and really like it.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Gannaway bag on my Kintails. Haven't had it long enough to need to re-season, but the primer and glycerin based seasoning I used to start with was simple and pleasant to work with. The original bag was a Bannatyne Hybrid. It had apparently delaminted in a couple of spots, and was leaking through the bag. No cure for that that I could find.
    I have an L&M hide bag on my Dunbars. When that needs to be seasoned I use a mix of honey and glycerin. If memory serves, I mix up equal amounts of the two, and add a small bit of whisky (the cheap stuff that I keep for hot toddys to fight off colds). Seems to work as well as any commercial preparation.
    Next time I need to season the L&M bag, I'm going to try adding some pepper, sounds like a reasonble idea. Seems to me I remember an old timer telling me years ago about using a handful of black pepper as a temporary fix for a pinhole leak in a car radiator.
    Last edited by Piper; 23rd November 08 at 07:02 AM. Reason: hit post too soon
    All skill and effort is to no avail when an angel pees down your drones.