X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not wear a kilt pin. Unfortunately, while I have seen some nice pins, I have never found one to my liking, and choose not to wear just anything. When the right one comes along, I will wear it.

Kilt pins did not come into use until the Highland regiments starting wearing them. According to the story, the queen was inspecting a highland unit on a blustery day. One poor solider had his kilt blowing up and not being able to move, he was having an embarrassing time to say the least. The queen recognizing the soldier's dilemma used a pin she had to secure the aprons together. They became part of the uniform shortly after.
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,
    Give him power.[/B][/I] - [I]Abraham Lincoln[/I]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the two I wear and the only two "styles" I own:

SWK's military "safety pin" kilt pin (I've got several of these) with my band's button:

and an artsy pin from Amerikilts:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like these,

Matt has this one, I have three in different shades to match the formality of dress.

I got a wild hair one night and made a bunch for the family.

Kevin.
    Last edited by kevinkinney; 12th November 08 at 07:38 PM.
    Institutio postulo novus informatio supersto
    Proudly monkeying with tradition since 1967.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the one that I now have that my kids got for me for Christmas last year. They got it through The Celtic Croft.

http://thecelticcroft.com/Highland_A...ethilt_lg.html
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a personal question. I found a really great kilt pin on eBay that was a boar's head on top of a sword. My usual pin is a clan crest pin.

Buy one that is along the lines of what you like. Then look around for one that really strikes your fancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is probably my favourite. It was found in an antique shop in Victoria, BC and was a gift from my sweetie. It is antique (circa 1880), hallmarked silver with a citrine. It is pictured on my Maple Leaf kilt though it is usually worn on my saffron SWK.

Gentleman of Substance

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made this one to go with a US Army kilt:

Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thread.

I followed Ham's advice and have a kilt pin for every kilt - actually more now since I've become a kilt pin addict. Have all the standard pewter sword and clan crest pins...have a LOT of X Marks kilt pins. Like them a lot. My two favorites came as gifts though. They're hand made silver by a Hopi craftsman.

A thunderbird design I wear on my Royal Air Force tartan kilt (another Kathy Lare hand sewn). I think this is an early pic and the tartan is the Prince of Wales, but its on my RAF tartan kilt now.

And a Hopi Bear design I wear with my Isle of Skye (also a Kathy Lare handsewn kilt).

Know these pics aren't the best...but they're what I have available now. Probably should reshoot with the new camera.

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beloitpiper View Post

That's not my photo, but the pin is the same. I like the old style pins because they were simple, traditional, and my first one was given to me by my mom. It was part of her school uniform (yes, for her skirt) so it means something to me.

I have about 4 that I keep on different kilts.
    Mine's the same, a sterling silver blanket pin with a 1914 Inverness hallmark. BTW-- Either your pin, or the photo, is upside down. Worn the way shown, if the pin snapped open, it would slip out and fall to the ground.

I also have a grouse foot kilt pin, again with an Inverness hallmark but dated 1912, that I sometimes wear to formal dinners and the like.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander31 View Post
    I do not wear a kilt pin. Unfortunately, while I have seen some nice pins, I have never found one to my liking, and choose not to wear just anything. When the right one comes along, I will wear it.

Kilt pins did not come into use until the Highland regiments starting wearing them. According to the story, the queen was inspecting a highland unit on a blustery day. One poor solider had his kilt blowing up and not being able to move, he was having an embarrassing time to say the least. The queen recognizing the soldier's dilemma used a pin she had to secure the aprons together. They became part of the uniform shortly after.
    I'm with you on this one. It took me a lot of searching to find just the right one. That stag head from Glen Esk, when I saw it, just took me breath away. It was perfect.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast