X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U.S. Military Kilt wearing

I have been reading everyone's delightful posts for a couple of months now and have thoroughly enjoyed it all. I have noticed quite a few questions about kilts and uniforms, etc. There is one uniform in which the military member may wear his kilt--I know I do at all the formal functions I attend--and that is the dinner dress winter uniform. The offical uniform jacket is patterned after the Prince Charlie with the exception that it has has piping (gold bands around the cuff to desinguish rank--mine has 3 gold 1/2" bands), it is a black jacket with gold buttons and spreader, also comes with a gold cummerbund and black bow tie. I wear a 21oz 9yd Royal Stewart, fur sporran, cream wool socks, flashes and spats with black dress shoes (polished to a shine of course). The ensemble has garnered me many of positive compliments and NOT one question as to the legitimacy my wearing it or suggestions as to any regulation preventing me from doing so. The winter dress uniform is an optional uniform for junior members and required after O-4 rank. Admirals and Generals have all commented on its impressive appearance. As to the question of which Tartan? The CG authorizes the CG Tartan or family Tartan to be worn. SInce I am 100% Scottish with four clan ties I chose the Stewart for it's compliment to the dinner dress jacket.

I do appreciate all your great stories, experiences and even pontifications--you keep me entertained underway.

Best Regards,
    Matt Walker

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We want pictures! Thjsi may be rank heresy, but maybe the Corps will have to surrender the title of best looking uniform.

Geoff Withnell

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedCoastie View Post
    I have been reading everyone's delightful posts for a couple of months now and have thoroughly enjoyed it all. I have noticed quite a few questions about kilts and uniforms, etc. There is one uniform in which the military member may wear his kilt--I know I do at all the formal functions I attend--and that is the dinner dress winter uniform. The offical uniform jacket is patterned after the Prince Charlie with the exception that it has has piping (gold bands around the cuff to desinguish rank--mine has 3 gold 1/2" bands), it is a black jacket with gold buttons and spreader, also comes with a gold cummerbund and black bow tie. I wear a 21oz 9yd Royal Stewart, fur sporran, cream wool socks, flashes and spats with black dress shoes (polished to a shine of course). The ensemble has garnered me many of positive compliments and NOT one question as to the legitimacy my wearing it or suggestions as to any regulation preventing me from doing so. The winter dress uniform is an optional uniform for junior members and required after O-4 rank. Admirals and Generals have all commented on its impressive appearance. As to the question of which Tartan? The CG authorizes the CG Tartan or family Tartan to be worn. SInce I am 100% Scottish with four clan ties I chose the Stewart for it's compliment to the dinner dress jacket.

I do appreciate all your great stories, experiences and even pontifications--you keep me entertained underway.

Best Regards,
    Matt Walker
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Withnell View Post
    We want pictures! Thjsi may be rank heresy, but maybe the Corps will have to surrender the title of best looking uniform.

Geoff Withnell
    Imagine if the Corps allowed the Leatherneck tartan kilt to be worn? That would be outstanding!!!
    "A true adventurer goes forth, aimless and uncalculating, to meet and greet unknown fate." ~ Domino Harvey ~
    ~ We Honor Our Fallen ~

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures, indeed! Thank you for your service Commander! Sounds like a sharp-looking uniform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I am at sea now and will not have access to any pictures for quite some time. Besides that, the SAT link is terribly slow and the bandwidth exceptionally narrow. I will get some posted when I return home.

Matt Walker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll wait on the pictures - I just want to know where you (or your kiltmaker) found 21 oz Royal Stewart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im getting a leatherneck for my brother but hes usmc e-2 possibly e-3 so im not sure he needs a ball uni atm me personally i dont like the marine dress blues .. i prefer the b dress it looks so old school and classy
    Reverend Chevalier Christopher Adam Dow II KStI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's wishing you a happy and smooth sailing voyage home. Never got past O-3 myself, and at that time the US Navy frowned on anything other than the regulation mess gear.
    The pipes are calling, resistance is futile. - MacTalla Mor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Kilt was made about 20 years ago when I was first commissioned in a shop in Scotland--I'd have to look at the label to remember.
    Matt Walker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt.

I'd love to see photo's of that Mess Kit if you have some. Sounds very impressive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast