X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Redpipes

JS Sanders is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Redpipes

I'll wait until more information is available... they are intriguing though.

http://www.redpipes.eu

I've been using an e-practice chanter for about 12 years, even new it'd be a helluva lot less costly than these goomers.

Slan,
    steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    980 euros is a lot of money for a fancy bagpipe-shaped pillow synthesizer
    Airman. Piper. Scholar. - Avatar: MacGregor Tartan
    “KILT, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen in America and Americans in Scotland.” - Ambrose Gwinett Bierce
    www.melbournepipesanddrums.com

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JS Sanders,

I moved your thread to our Celtic Musicians forum as this is a discussion about a practice instrument.

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. I'd like to hear it through various guitar pedals... that'd be wild.
    "A true adventurer goes forth, aimless and uncalculating, to meet and greet unknown fate." ~ Domino Harvey ~
    ~ We Honor Our Fallen ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm split among a) I could get a real set of pipes for that price, b) but it does sound interesting, or c) it's time to play Bagpipe Hero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The videos sound alright, but I'd rather buy actually bagpipes. €980 is about $1,300!!!

JS Sanders is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't be quite so dismissive of this instrument, yall. I love innovation and these clearly are innovative, almost to the nth degree.

Being able to change keys, adjustable pitch, and having a MIDI output alone should make them an irresistable attraction to Celtic bands.

Listen to what Stuart Cassells says about them on the website for criminy sakes. He's a very tall hog at his trough and his endorsement carries substantial weight.

These are even more specialized than the GHB, so of course the price is a bit dear, but with increased demand that should become more reasonable.

Sure hope I get to try them very soon.

Slainte,
    steve

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

It sounds like a great idea but I think they have it backwards. Some one should invent a set of pipes that you still blow into but the pipes play all the fingering for you kind of like a player piano. That way those of us who are musically challenged could appear to play the pipes without actually learning them.
    I am Matty Ross of the Clan ROSS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Ross View Post
    It sounds like a great idea but I think they have it backwards. Some one should invent a set of pipes that you still blow into but the pipes play all the fingering for you kind of like a player piano. That way those of us who are musically challenged could appear to play the pipes without actually learning them.
    Nintendo's "Wii Music" has the bagpipe as one of 60 instruments available, just mimic the movements and you're "playing" the pipes or whatever. Sounds like crrrap and one looks like an idiot playing it but I fear the second or third generation of this system, look at what Guitar Hero did for the serious air guitar player.
    As to the Redpipes, from the manual it seems to be basically an electronic Degerpipe with more advanced features, the "bag" is used to start the drones and then the chanter by arm pressure. I have a few electronic pipes and they do sound interesting either connected to Midi synths or directly through
    various FX pedals.
    There are also some guys, mainly from Spain and Eastern Europe, doing electronic versions of their pipes, just search "electronic bagpipes" on YouTube for some interesting variations. I too am waiting for a little more info on the RedPipes before I pull the trigger.