X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 65 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
    Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SHoC circa 1914 - 1917

The Seaforth Highlanders train at Brockton Point, between 1914 and 1918*.
    (*I suspect 1914, when compared to photo immediately below this one.)

72nd Regt., Seaforth Highlanders, Vernon, 1914.

72nd Seaforth Highlanders of Canada "Tug of War Team". 1915.

Lieutenant Colonel J.A. Clark, Seaforth Highlanders, ca. 1915.

Members of the 231st Battalion C.E.F. (Seaforth Highlanders) pipe and drum band on the Cambie Street grounds, ca. 1917. Photograph shows the houses on the west side of the 600 Block Cambie Street.

Major John Gordon Fleck, M.C. of the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, in France ca. 1917.

Last edited by BoldHighlander; 20th January 11 at 03:24 AM.
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edward VIII & the SHoC (circa 1919)

Police Pipe Band performing at the Caledonian Games at Hastings Park, 1918.
    Photograph shows Joseph Shields, Pipe Major and others.

H.R.H. The Prince of Wales (the future Edward VIII) speaking to a Seaforth Highlander outside the C.P.R. Station, Vancouver B.C., 1919.

Band of the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders, ca. 1919.

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Officers of the 1st Battalion Seaforth Highlanders of Canada.
    Vancouver B.C. April 1924.

1st Battalion Seaforth Highlanders of Canada,
    Guard of Honor at Unveiling of Cenotaph, April 1924.

Pipe & Drum Band 1st Battalion (72nd C.E.F.)
    The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, May 1925.

Officers of The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada. May 1925.

Warrant Officers, Staff Sergeants and Sergeants, 1st Battalion (72nd C.E.F.)
    The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada. May 1925.

Officers of the Seaforth Highlanders, between 1925 and 1927.
    Group portrait, by Stuart Thomson, shows Captain Blair, Captain Skelly, Captain C.C. Ferrie, Major Jack Lough, Lieutenant Colonel A.D. Wilson, Major Stevenson, Captain Taafe, Lieutenant Nicholson and others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parade for Lt. Col. R.M. Blair, C.O. SHoC (1929)

Parade and reception for Lt. Col. R.M. Blair, Commanding Officer 72nd Seaforth Highlanders, upon winning the King's prize at Bisley, top rifleman in the British Empire. August 1929.

Lt.Colonel Robert Mills "Bull's-Eye" Blair, Commanding Officer
    72nd Seaforth Highlanders of Canada:

For a very interesting blog entry about Lt. Col. R.M. Blair (and his house, which still stands in the West End) by Vancouverite James Johnstone please see:
    When An Old House Whispers...: A WEST END STORY: 1550 Harwood - The Robert Mills Blair House.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SHoC circa 1930 - 1939

Vancouver Police Pipe Band, 1930.

Pipes & Drums - 1st Battalion Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
    Vancouver, B.C. November 1934.

Group portrait of signallers, Seaforth Highlanders of Canada. February 1935.
    Note that the group is assembled in front of the Marine Building, which was designed by McCarter & Nairne, who also designed the Seaforth Armoury.

Governor General Bessborough Presenting Medals at Vancouver Court House.
    April 1935.

The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada, Cadets.
    March 1938.

Postcard of Seaforth Highlanders Armoury/ Seaforth Highlanders in training,
    September 1939.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SHoC circa 1942 - 1945

Seaforth Highlanders, Victory Loan parade (on Burrard Street), 1942.

Seaforth Highlanders, Victory Loan parade (on Burrard Street), 1942.

Lieutenant-Colonel B.M. Hoffmeister,
    commanding officer of the Seaforth Highlanders of Canada,
    Sicily, August 1943.

Seaforth Highlanders homecoming parade (on Georgia Street), 1945.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    Note that the group is assembled in front of the Marine Building, ...
    A stunning piece of architecture, truly. anyone with half an hour to waste in Downtown Vancouver near Waterfront should find it at West Hastings and ride the elevator. It's only open Mon-Fri 9-5.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amazing, Terry!

Here are my humble offerings for today.

A piper of the 78th Foot (Scotland), 1860:

An early tintype. Image is reversed. Note the "five lobe" sporran cantle seen also in the sporrans of the 79th New York.

A kilted 1950s wedding. Note how little Highland Dress has changed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gordons (?) @ Boer War field hospital:

Some jocks (possibly Gordons) at a field hospital, Paardeberg Drift (Boer War).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an 1860s photo taken by Peter Lothian, Edinburgh:

Note the serrated edge to the jacket front, something I don't recall seeing before.

This sporran is precisely like those worn with tweed "day" jackets in The Highlanders Of Scotland, painted at the same time this photo was taken.

About the Boer War photo above, why so many injuries to the left arm, none to the right arm?

Is one of the soldiers missing his right arm?

Note the differing hosetops, probably indicating different regiments.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 23rd April 11 at 05:16 AM.

Page 65 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast