X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kops in Kilts

Tim B is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kops in Kilts

I am a police officer and only recently became "kilted". Obviously, I'm not able to wear a kilt while at work. 9 months out of the year I am the School Resource Officer. During the summer months I work patrol.

We are a small department (6 officers INCLUDING the Chief) so in the summer time, I'm just an extra body. The other day my Chief and I were discussing the possibility of me working bike patrol during my summer months of duty. I asked him if I could wear an all black kilt. He paused for a moment...blinked a couple of times (he knows that I occasionally wear a kilt)...then said, "You'd want to wear bike shorts, wouldn't you?" I wasn't sure it that was really a question, or a suggestion in question form. Just after that, we got interrupted and havn't had time to continue the discussion since. I'll keep you updated.

This also got me to wondering: How many of my kilted bretheren on this forum are part of the "Bretheren in Blue", and other than pipe band or honor guard, is there any other occasion when you are authorized to don a kilt?

Tim B.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in State Law Enforcement here in South Carolina, but no 'authorized' kilt wearing going on. I tell you, with the way state budget is being slashed, at this point, I'm just happy to still be employed. I think I'll wait until after things settle down to start pushing my AIC to let me wear a kilt on special occasions or 'casual' days.

Stay Safe,

Casey

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not in law enforcement myself, but I have a good friend who is. He wears kilts and pants interchangably. He's on corrections (I'm not exactly sure what he does.) He once told me about how he got his... commanding officer? (I don't know the terms)... to allow it. He insisted that if the other cultural demographics could wear their what-have-you's, that he should be able to as well. HR agreed with him. His supervisor referred to him as a pain in the... rear. The way he tells it, that was the end of it. Of course, knowing Cliff, there is way more to the story than that. He probably went to work wearing FUBU gear or something.

Hey Tim-
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only I could wear this to work.....

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's great that you're pushing the envelope.
    Animo non astutia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe, the answer is to get the police department to form a pipe band. Lars Sloan, formerly of The Rogues and Scottish Mayhem, was struggling a few years ago to help get the Houston Police Department's pipe and drum band up and running. I don't think it is still viable, but they got to wear the kilt.

San Francisco, California or there abouts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen on-duty police officers who are not in pipe bands wearing kilts with their uniform shirt and gear at Highland games in California, but thats pretty limited.

Best regards,

Jake
    [B]Less talk, more monkey![/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey@Arms View Post
    I have seen on-duty police officers who are not in pipe bands wearing kilts with their uniform shirt and gear at Highland games in California, but thats pretty limited.

Best regards,

Jake
    The Lincoln, NH, police wear kilts while on duty at the NHHG at Loon Mountain:

Here's the story of how it came to be.

Tim B is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go Lincoln, NH PD and kudos to Sgt. Tamulonis! Now I just have to figure out how to get Highland games to my town.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also in Law Enforcement and unfortunately, there are no provisions where we're allowed to wear anything other than the standard uniform. They're strict about this.

However, I hope to try and form a pipe band within the next 2 years, or even just have a General Order allowing for a Police Department Piper to accompany our Honor Guard. Our city has a huge Scots influence, and was settled in the 1800's by Scots.
    "A true adventurer goes forth, aimless and uncalculating, to meet and greet unknown fate." ~ Domino Harvey ~
    ~ We Honor Our Fallen ~

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast