X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick Balmoral Argyle sizing question

I'm hoping to order a Balmoral Classic Argyle soon for an event in January.

I'm curious if the sizing is fairly accurate. If I wear a 44" suit jacket, will a 44" vest and coat fit?

Does anyone have any experience with this particular product?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just purchased a new Argyle and waistcoat from Rocky at USA Kilts and got a 46R when I normally wear a 44R. The size bigger fits me perfectly.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

I actually ended up ordering from J. Higgins (and it's a size bigger than my usual jacket size).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am quite glad this thread is here....I am from the UK and slim build - my size is 41" so I was going to order a 42" from Scotweb as it happens....Can someone in Scotweb actually say whether or not I should be buying a 44"????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would order a size up. I ordered a made to measure Balmoral Bramear and vest from Scotweb. It's wonderful. I normally wear a 48-50 reg in a US jacket. I ordered a 50 from them and it fits like a glove.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
    I am quite glad this thread is here....I am from the UK and slim build - my size is 41" so I was going to order a 42" from Scotweb as it happens....Can someone in Scotweb actually say whether or not I should be buying a 44"????
    If you are 41" in the chest and normally wear a UK 41/42 or EU 50/52/102 you should order a 42 resp 42L and absolutely NOT a 44. If you normally purchase a UK 40 or EU 48/50/98 then you might even want a 40R, resp. 40L. Even with 42(S/R/L) you might also even want to consider a 40 for the waistcoat or be prepared to have it taken in a wee bit. While the jacket remains unbuttoned the waistcoat should be buttoned and I've honestly found that most vendors tend to make their vests on the large rather than slim end of the spectrum.
    The issue here is American versus British sizing and fit and the standards of chest to waist and not really Highland versus urban attire. American clothing tend to be tailored for a larger waist and Americans tend to prefer a less fitted silhouette than the "British style".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend a 42" Martin. But even better, I'd recommend contacting our customer service team to put any remaining doubts to rest...

Hope this helps!

Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your advice...I think I may contact customer service after all and see what they say. I had one other jacket alterred some time ago it was a 42 Long (the arms needed taking up a little)...that jacket is a nice fit.

However, I realise it all depends on the cut and manufacturers understanding of sizing (which do differ).

Thanks anyway!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a partial hijacking of the thread. If I upsize the coat and I normally take a regular, should I order a short so that more of the cuff will show? I can't decide if that would throw off the entire coat.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please, please, please. Do yourself a favor and check the manufacturer or sellers sizing chart and measuring instructions. Do exactly as it says for that manufacturer or seller.

NEVER use another manufacturers or sellers measuring instructions!!!

NEVER use what you think your size is from another article from some other manufacturer.

NEVER assume you know what size you are just because that is what you have worn in the past.

It's really quite simple. Find the Manufacturers or sellers measuring instructions and use a tape measure. If you don't own a tape measure visit your local fabric shop or sewing center and buy a good one. Heck, it's only a couple of bucks.

For the Scotweb Balmoral Argyle Tweed Jackets the measuring instructions can be found as a link on this page.

http://www.scotweb.co.uk/sr_swhdr_tw...ll?display=all
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast