X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Brasilikilt is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got me a sewing machine!

My wife for Christmas got me what seems to me to be a good Singer sewing machine.

I've had this 9 yards of double-width Black Watch sitting around my place for 2 1/2 years already, and I'm sick of only having 2 (tailored) kilts to wear these past 6 years.
    I have hand sewn plenty of leather, but never used a machine to make clothing, and figured I would start by making something smaller such as a jacket or vest.

What if I were to do the nearly unthinkable? Make a woolen 9 yarder as my very first sewing project.

I know it *could* end in catastrophe, but it wouldn't it be magnificent if I could pull it off.....
    Wear your kilt proudly, but carry a big stick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like fun, good luck to you. I'm on my second hand-sewn kilt myself at the moment. No machine, altho I want one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mother-in-law bought my wife one a few years ago.

So far, I've used it more than she has.

I need to learn how to use it better. Then maybe I'll be inspired to sew other stuff....

Good luck!

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought an old Singer and it will sew up to and including leather, but sewing down pleats it no good. I have found it impossable to keep the horizable stipes lined up, so I sew that part by hand. Other parts like hems and waist bands I can machine sew.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    old Singer and it will sew up to and including leather, but sewing down pleats it no good
    No domestic sewing machine is good for sewing down pleats in which you have to match up a tartan. A sewing machine pulls the fabric under the needle with the feed dogs, those things under the presser foot. When you have two layers (or more) of fabric, the dogs are pulling on the bottom layer and the top layer doesn't have that same pull so it's moving slower than the bottom layer.

This action can be countered (somewhat) in two ways. One, a walking foot which is a presser foot that has built-in feed dogs that will move in conjunction with the machine's feed dogs to keep both the top and bottom layers of fabric moving together. Two, careful management of your fabric as you sew. This could mean careful and excessive pinning and/or basting. The counter measures are more or less successful depending on the fabric that you're sewing. With fabrics such as tartan, your solution Robert is best.

Grats Brasilikilt on the sewing machine. I don't know your sewing experience, but making a kilt by machine is far easier than a jacket. Whatever you decide, good luck!