X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The XMTSAS 'Saltire' on New Year's Day (Part 2)

....... About five miles north of Storrington is the small hamlet of Shipley, the main feature of which is a windmill, built in 1897 and the home of writer and politician Hillaire Belloc from 1906 to 1953. Ten years ago, the mill was used by BBC as the home of 'Jonathan Creek', the comedic sleuth, in the TV series of the same name:

I was saddened to discover that the mill is under renovation and does not therefore look as picturesque or photogenic as it might have done, two of its four sails having been removed. However, 'The Saltire' seemed pleased to be there:

We then went for a very short walk to benefit from the crisp New Year air and, whilst I expected my feet to tire fairly quickly, I was surprised when 'The Saltire' wanted to rest at an ancient bridge over the River Adur:

Returning to Bicknell Grange via the beautiful Sussex countryside, the moment seemed right for a brief photo-shoot at THE sundial. First a joint shot:

and then 'The Saltire', posing in its own inimitable manner:

Just a few days more and our little friend will have to wing its way back to California before, hopefully, returning to the United Kingdom and Dumfries for The Ferintosh Burns Supper weekend. However, we have a few more outings planned (unbroken frosts permitting) before 'The Saltire' heads westward.

To be continued........

Take care,
    Ham.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved Jonathan Creek! That's got to be one of my favourite shots thus far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures Hamish. I love following the little airship!
    Sara
    Who liked Jonathan Creek but prefers Alan Davies on QI!
    "There is one success- to be able to spend your life your own way."
    ~Christopher Morley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the first photo - looks like the wee airship is about to use the windmill as a mooring mast!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ham
    Wonderful photos thus far, whatever will you and the wee airship get up to next?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More superb pics, Hamish, you are certainly showing the Saltire plenty of the English countryside.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More adventures - I hope the wee airship doesn't mind the currently cold weather!
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McClef View Post
    More adventures - I hope the wee airship doesn't mind the currently cold weather!
    It doesn't, Trefor, but I do! Brrrrr!

We actually had a fall of snow overnight (about 5mm!), but it had melted by 8.30am before I could get any photos of the wee airship braving it. The sun is out now but it is bitterly cold outside, with the winds coming straight from Siberia, or somewhere similar.

Take care and wrap up warmly,
    Ham.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These photo essays on the Saltire are great. They have me thinking about what historical sites and the like are in my area. (Note to our European members: In the U.S. historical means over 100 years).

Right in my area, there is a fair amount of Civil War sites, so the little airship will have to visit some of them.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the airship sure gets to some nice places