X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hose arrived

My SHO hose arrived today in the post; I must say that at first glance, I am very impressed. Pictures to follow shortly of course, but I would certainly recommend SHO to others in need of tartan/diced hose.

A more detailed review will follow soon, but Josh & SHO should be on your short list for custom formal hose.

Regards,

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Todd,
    Sounds like they're the go to at the moment. I can't wait for the review. Thanks for all the help everyone. This is one of the many reasons why I love this forum. Please, if anyone else has any further input I'd love to hear it. Again, Todd, and everyone, Thank you so much !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Todd,
    So how are the diced hose you recieved from Skye Highland Outfitters? Not trying to be a bother, but I'd love to hear what you have to say before I pull the trigger. Also, do they appear to have reinforcing in the heel / toe area ? Lastly, what was the turnaround time from order to you (they state to be custom made so I imagine it takes a wee bit of time). I look forward to hearing from you. Take care and be well.
    Yours Aye,
    Sean

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MUNK3 View Post
    Hello Todd,
    So how are the diced hose you recieved from Skye Highland Outfitters? Not trying to be a bother, but I'd love to hear what you have to say before I pull the trigger. Also, do they appear to have reinforcing in the heel / toe area ? Lastly, what was the turnaround time from order to you (they state to be custom made so I imagine it takes a wee bit of time). I look forward to hearing from you. Take care and be well.
    Yours Aye,
    Sean
    Sean,

To be quite honest, I haven't had much of a chance to examine them in great detail, but I plan on posting a full review after our Burns Supper this weekend.

I was very impressed with SHO's customer service, and turnaround time was quick, but I did have a "rush order" to have the hose in hand for my Burns Night. You would need to speak to Josh/NorCalPiper in regards to their waiting time at present.

Tally-Ho!

Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK the new guy has to ask. What do you find wrong with the Diced Hose from J Higgins? I have always been very happy with John however I have not bought any hose for him.

Santa Kona
    Live Long & Give Joy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Kona View Post
    OK the new guy has to ask. What do you find wrong with the Diced Hose from J Higgins? I have always been very happy with John however I have not bought any hose for him.

Santa Kona
    Live Long & Give Joy
    Since I am a happy customer of J Higgins hose, I would have to say that the reason of such comments is somewhat 'kilt snobbery', some people insist on paying hundreds for a sock, while some others (me included) can not afford such prices.

So, those in the 'kilted snobbery' insist on making snide comments about low priced (aka cheap) items that the rest of us can afford to buy.

Because in all honesty, who gets on their knees to examine our hose/socks?

I mean, really.
    Hector Rojas Young | Chilean-Scot

operor non sentio mihi , quinymo agnosco mihi

Clan Young - We Ride!!

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hospitaller View Post
    Since I am a happy customer of J Higgins hose, I would have to say that the reason of such comments is somewhat 'kilt snobbery', some people insist on paying hundreds for a sock, while some others (me included) can not afford such prices.

So, those in the 'kilted snobbery' insist on making snide comments about low priced (aka cheap) items that the rest of us can afford to buy.

I mean, really.
    Todd can speak for himself, but I have a friend who purchased a pair of Argyle hose from Higgins a few years back to match his ancient Gordon kilt. He was not happy at all with the product for two main reasons:
    1. The almost day-glo coloration of the hose really did not match the kilt well at all, and was rather garish.
    2. The acrylic material the hose was made from started to pill and show signs of wear after the first wearing.

Sometimes when people give a product a bad review, or don't recommend a particular supplier, it's not snobbery. Sometimes "inexpensive" really does mean "cheap."

duchessofnc
    Well I for one look at the kilt hose. I think the kilt hose is highly important and when it comes to clothing, by and large you get what you pay for. I liken kilt hose to the hiker socks because they are very similar and I know for a fact that the higher priced hiker socks last better, keep your feet dryer, etc than a pair of socks that come in a package of 6 for $10

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, really.
    Hector
    It is my understanding that the reason people have given in he past regarding problems with J Higgins Argyll hose, is that they tended to wear out quickly due to the material used. Now this may not be a problem, as most people do not wear Diced or Argyll hose very often. I would expect though that these hose should be able to be worn more than 3 times before wearing out, though other members have said that their hose have worn out that quickly. It is also worth noting that the low priced Argyll hose are no longer available from J. Higgins. I do not think this has anything to do with "Kilt Snobbery" in fact of late most of your posts have been the flip side of Kilt Snobbery, please do not begrudge others the right of paying more for a superior product. There simply are times when you get what you pay for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, really.
    Well, I have a couple of pair of synthetic hose that look okay, but are uncomfortable b/c the hose don't have much stretch to them. My calves are not huge, only 16" in circumference. They also do not breathe like woollens, so my feet need to get out of them after just a couple of hours.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast