X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

knitting my own garters?

Hey guys,
    Since I am learning and practicing knitting getting ready for Joan's class on kilt hose, it has me thinking about making up a pair of garters. I've seen the snake style ones and ones that look simply flat. My question is this, could I simply make a flat 1" wide "belt" to use and add the decoration tassels to the ends or would I need to make a snake tube type to have enough stretch and durability?

I was thinking 8 to 10 rows x how ever long I decide to make one an inch or less wide. Figure it would be good practice and a decent goal to do instead of the little squares I am making now lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by runewolf View Post
    My question is this, could I simply make a flat 1" wide "belt" to use and add the decoration tassels to the ends or would I need to make a snake tube type to have enough stretch and durability?
    The short answer is yes.
    I think if I were knitting garters I would knit them sideways, i.e. on a circular needle, cast on however many stitches you need for the length of the garter, then knit until it's as wide as you want it, approx. 1 inch, then bind off. That should make it not so stretchy, which, to my mind, would be better than having them stretchy. I believe I'd also use as small needles (US 3 or smaller) and worsted weight yarn, so it'll be a really tight knit. That way it'll look more like it's woven, and hold up your kilt hose better.

If I were making the "Snakes" that Puffer describes, I'd use double-pointed needles, maybe two of them, and knit the garter in the round, with one alteration: I'd cast on half as many stitches as I wanted the finished tube to contain, then knit each stitch, but leave the cast-on stitch on the needle. That'll produce two needles with equal # of stitches on each, and you won't have to sew the end closed. When I got to the end of the garter, I'd work a three-needle bind-off, which is different from a regular bind-off only in that you knit a stitch from both needles at the same time, then pass the previous stitch over it.
    I made a scarf this same way a few years ago, and it's really warm because it's two thicknesses thick, and it doesn't curl on the edges like flat knit does.
    I hope this helps.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you know anyone with a knitting machine you can make the tubes, called I-cord on one of them quie quickly.

Some machines have what is called a garter carriage, and that could be set to make a strip 1 inch wide by up to maybe 200 stitches long - which could be joined together to whatever length is required, if that wasn't long enough.

Or take one strip and crochet on fancy ends and the fringing.

Anne the Pleater

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember James MacMillan had a thread about getting one of those peg style knitting duhickies and knitting garters. He made the fringe by wrapping the yarn around an index card, through the garter end, back around the card, then repeating all the way to the other side. The fringe is then trimmed to the wanted length. I'm guessing he used the same knitting tool that is used on the knitting duhicky to get the yarn through the garter stitches.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... Interesting thoughts all around. May be a little advanced for me since I am just learning all this hehe. I have seen the i-cord machines at Joannes fabric for less than $10 and never even thought about garters until I started learning to knit. For the kilt hose, I am going to have to find 4 double pointed needles size US5 which is bigger than you are thinking piperdbh. I did find a circular needle in my wife's stuff last night, but never used anything like it... Ideas ideas.... May be fun to play with anyway lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mother has knitted (crocheted?) a couple pair of garters for me - she basically knitted a row an inch an a half wide, then added another row on to that, and another, and etc. until they were thirty inches long.
    Just two needles, nothing more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a pair the way Wompet mentioned. Next time I make a pair, I might try making them the other direction on a circular needle.

They're for me if I want to wear them when I do Highland Games. Haven't had a chance to really try them out yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking garters Cynthia - is that a garter stitch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Yes, it is garter stitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made an I-cord pair, with double pointed needles very easy looks nice, I know they are on the site somewhere but I'll be damned if I can remember where

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast