X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rex! I knew I could rely on you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Courtmount View Post
    It may partly be a cultural clash thing like wearing leiderhosen and cowboy boots.
    Just as a side note, I've seen this in Muenster, TX, at Octoberfest.
    "My beloved America, thank you for your children. If your children want to become soldiers I will train them. When they are hungry I will feed them. When they are thirsty I will give them water. When they fight for freedom I will lead them. When they are unsteady on the battlefield I will motivate them. If they die on the battlefield I will bury them. So help me God."

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davedove View Post
    I personally think a flat cap looks great with a kilt and have worn one often. And I don't agree that people will think you look eccentric, at least no more than they do when you wear a kilt.
    I agree with this statement whole-heartidly. Most people who wear kilts already think 'bugger all' to anyone else's opinion of our choice of dress (no pun intended... ). People usually focus on the 'tartan skirt' much more than the headwear.

I love my flat caps. I have 6 or 8 of them in different tweeds and a black wool and a black linen one. When my grandfathers (either side of the family) died, I inherited all of their flat caps as somethnig to remember them by. I started wearing them and adopted that 'look' when I was 18 and continue to wear them today. Since I wear kilts every day, I end up wearing them with kilts.

My take on 'the look' is this: As long as the cap tones well with the colors in the kilt, it'll look fine. I have a tan tweed cap I'd never wear with a 'modern' tartan, but looks great with a Weathered tartan or a solid tan kilt like my FK or UK. If there's a good amount of black in the kilt, I'll wear a black flat cap. I have a lovat blue and a lovat green cap for my Ancient and Muted kilts.

I have never received a 'why are you wearing THAT hat' comment from any kilt wearer or non kilt wearer (and I often meet STAUNCH traditionalists in my line of work ). I was actually a little surprised to see people have such strong negative opinions on this matter.

Ron... this quote's for you...

'Different horses for different courses'.

BTW... IMHO, I think ANY hat in a formal situation looks a bit silly (a gentleman wouldn't wear a hat inside ANYWAY), so I don't wear flat caps or balmorals or cowboy hats or any hat with an Argyll or PC. Others disagree and I don't fault them for it.

My $.02... or in this case, it was probably more like $.06.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davedove View Post
    I personally think a flat cap looks great with a kilt and have worn one often. And I don't agree that people will think you look eccentric, at least no more than they do when you wear a kilt. Many people have told me that the flat cap looks great with the kilt. I think this may be another of those across the pond cultural differences. But then, I'm not looking to wear a kilt exactly like someone else would. I look at the kilt as another article of clothing to blend into my wardrobe.

The tweed jacket isn't a good example either. The normal sports jacket isn't cut for a kilt; that's why it looks wrong. A nice tweed jacket cut in the right fashion looks great.
    Well quite: the flat cap isn't cut the right way for wearing with a kilt.

BTB I do not see a problem with the 'toque' (French for bon-homme de neige apparently) and a kilt in chillier climes.

When I say people will look and say oh dear you've got it wrong, I don't mean the trouser wearing masses, I mean other Scots (I include hyphen-Scots).

Maybe, and I'm speculating now, the problem is that the flat cap is thought to be more of an English piece of headgear which is why it jars so much when worn with a kilt.

ith:Smiley included because I have been know to wear a solar topee with a kilt: I was looking for something suitable for protection from the sun in Cyprus.
    The 'Eathen in his idleness bows down to wood and stone,
    'E don't obey no orders unless they is his own,
    He keeps his side arms awful,
    And he leaves them all about,
    Until up comes the Regiment and kicks the 'Eathen out.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rocky, when all said and done whether we wear a flat cap with the kilt, or not, as the case may be, is hardly an earth shatteringly important matter. Perhaps the traditionalists you come across are too polite to comment,not bothered,or, don't want a black eye! Sorry ,only joking. Outside this website most of us would never dream of openly laughing, or, commenting on any one's style of dress. However that does not mean that I and others do not have a point of view.

This great website encourages friendly discussion and allows for honestly held opinions to be aired, robustly put sometimes maybe, these points of view may also not be voiced out load in public for reasons of tact and diplomacy. Providing these firmly held views are voiced courteously, we all get an opportunity to learn of other points of view. I suppose it can be a surprise to learn that what I/we thought was a non issue suddenly becomes one.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 30th January 09 at 07:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a favorite topic here. (For the record I think they look fine together, though I have never worn any type of hat with my kilt.) I recall on a previous iteration of this thread (that I could not find) someone posted a picture of one or another highland regiment who wore their TOS (I think) with the crown pulled forward, very much resembling a flat cap.

It does seem that your opinion will tend to show on which side of the Atlantic you spent your formative years.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deep on the Navajo reservation lurks a kiltie in a.....gasp!!!

Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion is that if one is dressed "traditionally" (read: semi-formal and above) traditional head gear should be worn, if any at all.

If one is dressed casually, I think the "rules" have been automatically relaxed by the very definition of the word casual.

When dressed casually, I've worn knit watch-caps, ball-caps, flat-caps. When dressing-up, I tend to leave the cover at home.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Rocky, when all said and done whether we wear a flat cap with the kilt, or not, as the case may be, is hardly an earth shatteringly important matter. Perhaps the traditionalists you come across are too polite to comment,not bothered,or, don't want a black eye! Sorry ,only joking. Outside this website most of us would never dream of openly laughing, or, commenting on any one's style of dress. However that does not mean that I and others do not have a point of view.

This great website encourages friendly discussion and allows for honestly held opinions to be aired, robustly put sometimes maybe, these points of view may also not be voiced out load in public for reasons of tact and diplomacy. Providing these firmly held views are voiced courteously, we all get an opportunity to learn of other points of view. I suppose it can be a surprise to learn that what I/we thought was a non issue suddenly becomes one.
    Quite: What do you do when a friend from, say TN, accompanies you to the Cowal Games and is planning to wear a flat cap with his otherwise well turned out gear? A little embarrassing to mention it, but worse to leave the mentioning to some drunk Glaswegian Ned who might mistake your friends southern manners as an invitation to a rumble.
    The 'Eathen in his idleness bows down to wood and stone,
    'E don't obey no orders unless they is his own,
    He keeps his side arms awful,
    And he leaves them all about,
    Until up comes the Regiment and kicks the 'Eathen out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Courtmount View Post
    Maybe, and I'm speculating now, the problem is that the flat cap is thought to be more of an English piece of headgear which is why it jars so much when worn with a kilt.
    You may have hit on it there and I can see that point of view. And, if I were trying to dress in a strictly Scottish fashion, I would follow that reasoning with my choices.

However, since in many cases I'm just using the kilt as another article of clothing, it doesn't really bother me. Maybe that's because, as a "new-worlder", I'm pretty well blended myself.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast