X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else love wine?

I know this is completely off topic (hence why I posted this in the off topic section), but I'm sitting back right now listening to good music, and enjoying a bottle of shiraz.

I've been making a point at visiting vineyards, and good wineries lately and I thought I'd see if anyone else enjoys a nice glass ( or bottle ) of wine from time to time.

There is a vineyards in Verde Valley here in Arizona called the Alcantara Vineyard, and it's awesome. It's not a huge vineyard/winery, but I think that's why I like it. I've spent multiple days there before, and it's a great day to sit back drink some fresh wine, and enjoy the company of a few strangers.

If anyone is ever on the I-17 between Flagstaff and Phoenix, you definitely need to take the opportunity to stop by in Verde Valley.

Anyways, I've just finished one bottle, and it was glorious. I apologize in advance for any drunken conversations that take place from here on out.

Anyone else got some good vineyards to recommend?

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Flagstaff and visit my dad in Tolleson once a month or so. I have to stop by and check it out next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We mostly do wine with dinner-- Lady Rathdown and I prefer a good ordinary claret with most meals, although when we entertain we may set as many as four wines for the table. I am very much a champagne drinker (I really like the Roderer California vinyards' Hermitage), and always serve the bubbly before dinner as I think hard spirits tend to dull the pallet.

I am, on the whole rather underwhelmed by Virginia wines, with the exception of Barboursville Vinyards' Malvaxia Passito which is an absolutely first class dessert wine. Not being much of a wine snob I tend to buy wines that are pleasant to drink, and not too heavy. I do have a small cellar that will accommodate 288 bottles in 24 rather snug bins, and racks for an additional dozen or so bottles. At the present moment I've got four cases of wine in the bins, plus an assortment of about eight or ten bottles of wine given to us over the Christmas holidays. I always keep half a dozen bottles of champagne in the fridge-- just in case!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kris I love wines, and now looking into the possibility in getting my sommlier certifacation. You need to look into the Kokopelie winery here in Chandler and there are several wineries in southern Az. Down by Sonota.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh là là !

Please don't get me started on the subject !

Best,

Robert

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy did I ever love wine!! Count me in as an alumni member though.

Best "vinyards" for me were the deli's around New York City...fine French wines to be had at prices I could afford back then.

I was a wine connoisseur. Bought books on wine, had racks of wine, saved all the labels in a scrapbook(s) and rated each wine - even would ask for the empty bottle in a restaurant to take home and soak off the label for the collection.

Used to study up on, seek out, and drink the good stuff. Know the good years. Finding the good stuff was a lot easier in NYC than it was in Arizona.

Would come home from work and have a glass of wine. Cook a lovely meal flavored with wine and sip while cooking. Would even inject wine into meat with a syringe when there wasn't time to marionate. Of course would have wine with dinner. And after dinner would look at what was left in the bottle and....well....you know it won't keep. Usually slept quite well.

Slept really well after drinking a rather large bottle of Thunderbird vintage...passed out on Friday night about 9pm and woke up on Sunday afternoon about 4pm...good stuff. A true wine connoisseur has to experience the full range from Mad Dog 20/20 to the finest he can afford.

Found those Boone's Farm fruity wines were wonderful on dates. They made the ladies so happy and fun loving and willing to risk new adventures.

But, at the core I loved a good Cabernet Sauvingaun (did I spell that right?, its been a long time). Even now, 19 years since I've put that nector to my lips the smell of it in a restaurant still resonates with every cell in my body - sort of like when a bird dog spots a bird.

I was an optimistic wine lover too. About a year after I got sober I was cleaning a closet and I found a bottle of Hungarian Cabernet Sauvingnon that I'd laid down in the back of the closet to "age." I'd paid $3.50 for it at Safeway....optimistic expectations for sure.

So, a lemonade toast to you lucky ones who don't have the "too much" problem that I do. Wine is lovely stuff - if you're not an olde wino like me....enjoy in moderation my kilted brothers.

I don't miss it too much, I switched to a cheese addiction...very similar type hobby....

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I remember a night after Mad Dog 20/20 in my dorm room at college, and the Boone's Farm nights with my girlfriend. But those times are gone. I, too, enjoy Cabernet Sauvignon and also a nice Pinot Noir from time to time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I posted about this subject before, but I'll be glad to go 'round again.
    If you want something completely different, go to www.woodmillwinery.com, and see if they'll ship to you. They grow their own muscadine and scuppernong grapes, (both of which are native to North Carolina, which is the greatest place on Earth, by the way) and make wine from them throughout the winter. Their wines range from dry to sweet, just like everyone else's, and they have more "fruit" flavor than vinifera grapes impart. Some people describe them as dessert wines, but they're just as good on their own or with dinner or to enjoy on the front porch with a beautiful lady and a beautiful sunset.
    Duplin Wines, made from the same breeds of grapes, but in a different section of NC, are also very good. I drank them all the time until Woodmill opened a few years ago.
    I'm not connected to either winery, just a customer like everyone else.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Retired Forum Moderator Chairman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancienne Alliance View Post
    Oh là là !

Please don't get me started on the subject !

Best,

Robert
    Robert - know how you feel. One of the best times I used to have while I lived in Paris was attending the Salon National des Vins des Cave Particulieres each year. What a great way to get an education on various varietals and regions.

Brian

In a democracy it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! I live in very close proximity to the Napa and Sonoma valleys. That there are lots of great local wines to chose from is an understatement. As a recommendation, check out Graeser Winery. We've played a couple of gigs there and they pay us in wine--which is a good deal because their wines are SUPERB!! The owners very cool people so I love spreading the word.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast